I'm calling it the "Sienna Brown Coat"

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN Summary: Yet another coat makes its way into my DIY collection; this one is is a stunner IMO! I started by calling it the honey brown coat but after researching about the colors I changed it to sienna coat. Keep reading the full article on tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com.

---

PT Sumário: É só mais um casaco para a minha coleção, e é um espanto (na minha opinião)! Comecei por chama-lo o casaco castanho-mel, mas depois de pesquisar as cores, mudei o nome para castanho siena. Para saberem mais sobre este projeto, leiam o artigo completo em tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com.


EN: An "oldie but goodie", this pattern was featured in the November 2006 issue of Burdastyle magazine (model 123). It's a double-breasted coat with three rows of buttons, two of which placed along horizontal seams, in-seam pockets on the side front panels, two leaf tailored sleeves (no sleeve vents) and a large notched collar with stand. The coat is fully lined. The horizontal seaming is its most distinctive detail and the reason I picked this particular pattern: I had three pieces of this sienna brown coating fabric, each with a little more than a yard, so not enough to cut long pieces for a coat.

---

PT: Antigo mas enquadrando-se na moda atual, este molde veio na revista Burdastyle Novembro de 2006, modelo 123. Trata-se de um casaco assertoado com três filas de botões, duas das quais colocadas sobre costuras horizontais, bolsos metidos na costura dos painéis laterais com a frente, mangas de alfaiate de duas folhas (sem abertura no punho) e uma gola grande com lapelas e pé. O casaco é completamente forrado. As costuras horizontais são o detalhe que mais se destaca e a razão pela qual escolhi este modelo, pois o meu tecido consistia de três peças cada uma com pouco mais de um metro, ou seja, não se conseguia cortar peças muito longas.
https://burdastyle.ru/vikroyki/palto/palto-burda-2006-11-123/
EN: I found the ideal buttons in my stash, but there were only four large ones so I didn't place the third row of buttons on my version (I actually think it looks better with only four buttons and just the in-seam buttonholes). I had smaller buttons of the same set so I added buttoned vents to the sleeves. I also moved the in-seam pockets to the side seams because on the original I felt like they would be too close of the center front and overlapping if I was to place my too hands in the pockets at the same time; not a very flattering look in my opinion.

---

PT: Encontrei os botões ideais no meu stock, mas só tinha quatro dos grandes, por isso não coloquei a 3ª fila de botões (até acho que fica melhor assim, sem misturar casa de botão clássicas com casas metidas na costura). Também tinha botões deste conjunto mais pequenos e, para os aproveitar, confecionei aberturas abotoadas nas mangas. Relativamente aos bolsos metidos nas costuras da frente, parece-me que ficam muito juntos… Imaginando-me com as mãos nos bolsos, as mãos iriam sobrepor-se na frente, algo que não acho que ficaria bem. Por isso resolvi mover a colocação dos bolsos para as costuras laterais.
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: I cut my usual Burdastyle size 40 without further altering the pattern and the fit turned out on spot. This model calls for shoulder pads, which I inserted, and I also used self-fabric sleeve-heads.

---

PT: Cortei o meu tamanho Burda habitual (40) sem mais alterações e o casaco assenta-me perfeitamente. Este modelo leva chumaços e também acrescentei cabeças de manga por dentro, cortadas do mesmo tecido.
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: The buttons are asymmetrical and very beautiful. I couldn't stop thinking about Paco Peralta while sewing this coat because details like in-seam buttonholes were right up his alley... Such a great loss to our sewing community, and a very dear friend who I miss so much. There are at least two very useful step-by-step tutorials on his blog that can be useful for sewing this coat: the inseam pockets and the lining with contrast piping.

---

PT: Os botões são assimétricos e muito bonitos. Não pude evitar pensar no Paco Peralta enquanto confecionava este casaco, pois detalhes como casas metidas na costura eram bem ao seu estilo. Foi uma perda enorme para a nossa comunidade de costura e sinto imenso a falta dele. Há pelo menos dois passo-a-passo no blogue do Paco que vos podem ser úteis se quiserem coser um casaco como este: o dos bolsos metidos na costura e o do forro com vivo contrastante.
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: Here's the sleeve vents and their inside finishing:

---

PT: Aqui têm as aberturas abotoadas das mangas e o seu acabamento interior:

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: The in-seam pockets are nearly invisible on the side seams:

---

PT: Os bolsos metidos na costura lateral são quase invisíveis:

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: Regarding the lining, it's dark brown with a white piping along the facing seam:

---

PT: Quanto ao forro, é castanho-escuro e tem o vivo branco na costura com a vista:

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: I also included a hidden chest pocket on the left front:

---

PT: Também incluí o bolso escondido na frente esquerda:

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: The large collar of this coat doesn't lie completely flat thanks to a collar stand that provides additional structure on the back:

---

PT: A grande gola deste casaco não fica "assapada" graças ao pé-de gola que a levanta um pouco atrás:
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: I cut the undercollar in two bias pieces with a center back seam, a subtle alteration that makes a difference on the way the collar rolls:

---

PT: Cortei a gola inferior em duas partes em viés, com uma costura no centro; esta alteração subtil melhora o caimento da gola:
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: Here's one more photo of the coat, finished on 8th December; I love it and IMO it's a classic coat with a twist that will never go out of style.

I hope these articles are both informative and inspiring to my readers! Thank you all for the support!

---

PT: Aqui têm uma última foto do casaco, terminado a 8 de Dezembro; gosto bastante dele e creio que um casaco como este é um clássico com um "je ne sais quoi" que nunca passará de moda.

Espero que estes artigos sejam tão inspiradores como informativos para vocês! Obrigada pelo apoio!
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com

 

8 comments:

Debby said...

Your coat is just so beautiful...and perfect!

Magda said...

Que maravilha!
A stunning coat. I usually don't care for browns but this colour is gorgeous and of course the photos of the details show how good you are at sewing. I strive to be that good.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

Wow that is gorgeous, I love the detail of the in-seam buttonholes. I would have been tempted to use the seaming to make a color block coat but the solid brown color is so rich looking. perfection.

Anascana said...

Your coat is stunning. May I come to your house to learn how to sew with such precision and professionalism? Please move next door to me.

Pam E said...

Absolutely beautiful!

rosanne said...

Gorgeous coat! I feel like Burda did pocket placement strangely in that era. I have a Burda coat I made, also from 2006, that had the pockets on the front princess seam. I moved them to the side seam and enjoyed the ease and discrete location much better.

rosanne said...

Gorgeous coat! I feel like Burda did pocket placement strangely in that era. I have a Burda coat I made, also from 2006, that had the pockets on the front princess seam. I moved them to the side seam and enjoyed the ease and discrete location much better.

Isa said...

Adorei! Que perfeição!!