O que fazer a seguir? – What to do next?

Português
English (uncheck the other box and check this one)
Estou aqui numa encruzilhada... Neste momento, pensando de uma forma realista, tenho um mês, no máximo mês e meio para costurar roupas de Inverno; e sei que não vai ser possível fazer tudo o que tinha planeado, daí ter estabelecido prioridades (as roupas mais quentes primeiro, porque agora tem estado mau tempo, etc.). Seguindo a linha de confeccionar as roupas mais pesadas/quentes, o meu próximo projecto seria a minha primeira tentativa de costurar um molde vintage, e tomaria parte da colecção Baunilha e Chocolate, uma vez que penso utilizar o bouclé marfim na sua confecção:

Tenho o material todo e o molde traçado para este projecto… Mas estou seriamente a ponderar não o começar já, em detrimento da colecção Neo-Punk Britânico, nomeadamente as peças feitas com o tartan vermelho. Se que se não as fizer agora, este tecido, embora clássico e intemporal, não estará tão em voga depois. Então o meu próximo projecto deverá ser umas calças em tartan vermelho (da Burda de Novembro de 2008), onde também vou ter a oportunidade de experimentar um material chamado “Steam a Seam” que me foi gentilmente cedido pela Margi e que permite alinhar os quadrados mais facilmente sem que o tecido deslize.

A melhor maneira de o aprender a usar é aplicá-lo num projecto real e determinar se realmente se adapta à minha forma de costurar. Mas o casaco Christian Dior também está a pedir que o faça e sem dúvida que é um projecto mais interessante que um par de calças… Ai, ai, quem me dera ter uns elfos domésticos ao meu serviço! Ou então dias de 48 horas em vez de 24!

I am in a bit of a crossroad here… At this point, thinking in realistic terms, I have a month left (a month and a half in the best of chances) to sew winter clothes; and I know that I won’t have the means and the time to make everything I had planned; so I decided to prioritize my list and since the weather here has been chilly, wet and windy, the heavier/warmer garments went up on my sewing wish list. Following this line of thought, the next garment to be made would also be my first attempt at a vintage pattern: this magnificent Dior coat that I have planned to make using my ivory boucle for the Vanilla and Chocolate collection:

I have all the notions and the pattern is already copied (I can’t stand the thought of cutting the original pattern, which is uncut and came to my hands factory folded)... But I’m seriously pondering not to make it just yet and chose a pattern for using the red tartan fabric instead (British Neo-Punk set). This fabric is classic and timeless but it’s currently a strong trend that will be past when the spring comes. So my next project should be these pants featured in the November 2008 BWOF. This will be a good chance to try out a special purpose notion that Margi so kindly sent to me: the Steam a Seam, for aligning the plaids and keep them from shifting while you sew (I am used to pin the two layers together aligning them with the help of the thread traced lines).

The best way to learn a technique and see if it adapts to my own special way of sewing is using it on a real project, don’t you agree? But I have to confess: the Dior coat is screaming out loudly to be made... I wish I had some house elves to assist me and make my sewing quicker! A 48 hr day would help too...

20 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

As a vintage fanatic, I really want you to make the Dior coat and dress first! But I do understand about timing the trends, so see why you would go for the pants...I guess I will just have to wait and see what you decide to make first.

*Dior, Dior, Dior, Dior*
(whispering in your ear!)

Tany said...

I hear you Carolyn!! Maybe I'll change my mind, there's still time to decide on which project to make first... Isn't this Dior pattern a beauty? Unfortunately I’m not sure I'll have enough fabric for the dress... Just keep your fingers crossed, because it will be a close call if I do!

Ann Made Studio said...

Tany, I can see why the Dior is calling to you, it's gorgeous! I love it. You never know, you may have time to make "both" :))

Tany said...

Thanks Ann!
I will make both and a few more, I hope, lol! It's just a matter of which ones to make first... I think the Dior coat will be a lovely piece, timeless and worn for many years... The tartan pants, on the other hand, would be very trendy if worn this winter. I could wear them through spring too, but since they are a strong trend now, I fear everybody will be tired of tartans in a month or two...

Nancy K said...

the Dior will still be wonderful next winter, the neo punk maybe not so much so I vote for the tartan group.

Ana's Closet said...

hehe eu também sou assim, felizmente quando compro os tecidos à consignação, embora às vezes depois os use para outros fins. Também estou a dar prioridade aos tecidos de inverno.
Não dá para usares um para o casaco e outro para as calças? Se assim fosse começaria pelo casaco, que se usa mais vezes e com mais roupa do que calças.
Por falar em calças, esse modelo, na lateral não é para desencontrar o tecido? Se for esse modelo é lindíssimo (eu também tenho estado de olho nele!) e adapta-se na perfeição ao tecido de xadrez!

Beijinhos e boas costuras!

Tany said...

Ana: Creo que estamos a pensar no mesmo modelo: de lado tem uma tira em viés. Assim não é preciso tanto cuidado em alinhas as laterais, embora as costuras do meio devam ficar alinhadas, ou seja, as frentes devem ser simétricas entre si e as costas também.
Aqui não é uma questão de em qual projecto aplicar qual tecido... O boucle marfim do Baunilha e Chocolate é para o casaco e o tartan vermelho é para as calças e pelo menos mais uma saia... A questão é que gostava de usar o tartan enquanto é tendência, ou seja já! Depois já não é a mesma coisa. Quanto ao casaco cor-de-marfim, se não o fizer proximamente também já não o poderei usar este ano, porque o tempo vai começar a aquecer. Resumindo: tenho que me despachar!
Beijinhos!

Ana Carina said...

Um modelo vintage!!! Belíssimo! Adoraria ver-te a fazer esse vestido em particular, para ver qual a tua opinião sobre os moldes vogue couturier.

Fico a aguardar os progressos.

Beijinhos

Anonymous said...

Hi Tany - do you plan to use Steam a Seam as a temporary thing to hold the plaids in place while sewing? If I remember correctly - Steam a Seam is normally used to avoid having to handstitch seams - so it is something permanent - and it makes the fabric rather stiff (in my opinion). For temporary use - I take Wondertape - that also sticks on bith sides (without the need to iron it on) - and it is completely removed when you wash the finished garment....

Sabine

Summerset said...

Oh, make the Dior! It is a marvelous vintage pattern and spring will be here before we know it. (At least I hope!)

Tany said...

Sabine: Thank you for your input! I haven't tried the Steam a Steam method yet and I still have to carefully read through the literature provided by Margi; I also don't know if the fact of thread tracing the outlines will be compatible with this method... So I will run some tests first to see how the fabric responds to the Seam a Seam procedure. I also heard that there is a "Lite Steam a Seam" that won't make the fabric stiff. My usual method behaves quite well (thread tracing, pinning and sometimes hand basting), I've never had problems aligning plaids, but I'm always intrigued by "new" ways of performing "old" sewing tasks. Thanks again for coming forward!!!

Sigrid said...

Difficult choice, I can see that. if you go for the Dior first after all, I don't think the plaids will be out of style that soon! And they always do come back at some time.

Lori said...

I vote for the Dior coat but whatever you choose will be an incredible garment. Good luck deciding. I hear you on the 48 hour day.

Meg said...

I am also voting for the Dior. With your skills I cant wait to see the end result.

Bunny said...

The Dior coat is just yummy, and in vanilla, no less! Can't wait!

Sue said...

You know you can't go wrong with either project but the Dior coat would be cool!

Jakelynne Matos said...

Que dúvida hein??
Eu faria o Dior, é lindo e com toda a certeza vc o irá usar muito.
Beijos

Eden said...

Olá Tany. Ambos projectos são fantásticos e se fosse eu também ficaria num impasse. Daqui a pouco o tempo começa a aquecer e fica o casaco sem uso. Quanto às calças, também concordo. O tecido é super giro, contudo, daqui a pouco não está tão em voga. Eu se calhar optava pelas calças.
Quando descobrires os elfos, avisa ;) A mim também me davam imenso jeito.
Bjs e boas costuras.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tany,

I vote for the plaid pants. I think if you've got the figure to do them justice, you have an obligation to make them and wear them before their time is past! Just my two cents. :)

Sismada said...

Essa cena do steam a steam não conhecia, por aguardo impaciamente por um post teu ao mostrar em que se aplica exatemente :) Beijitos