Jaqueta de tweed laranja: notas sobre a construção (4) - Orange tweed jacket: construction notes (4)

Português
English (uncheck the other box and check this one)
No post anterior falei-vos do meu dilema quanto à aplicação do forro nas pregas; então vou mostrar o que decidi fazer. Em primeiro lugar debruei as orlas do fundo das pregas com tiras de viés, pois parte desta orla ficará visível:

Cosi o forro da mesma forma que a jaqueta, mas em vez de coser as pregas pela orla mais comprida, fechei-as na diagonal, como podem ver a seguir:

Seguidamente virei a baínha do forro para dentro e apliquei-o na jaqueta. O forro fica assim com uma prega oposta que ficará solta entre as duas setas verdes; o restante da bainha do forro é cosido à mão à bainha da jaqueta. Depois de retirar os alinhavos e assentar a ferro, o resultado será limpo e proporcionará um bom acabamento no interior.

Depois mostro na jaqueta completa o resultado final. Entretanto também queria mostrar os chumaços e as cabeças de manga que utilizei; são chumaços de alfaiate para jaquetas de senhora leves, por isso não são muito rijos nem altos.

Outro detalhe que tem suscitado curiosidade é as casas trabalhadas à mão; o método que estou a utilizar é o das modistas e não o de alfaiate que é ainda mais elaborado (para o método de alfaiate, vejam este tutorial do Paco). A primeira coisa que faço é coser à máquina um rectângulo tipo moldura à volta da casa (espero que consigam distinguir na foto):

Depois, com um martelo, uma base de madeira e um cinzel próprio (que foi uma oferta do Paco, além do tweed laranja e dos chumaços de alfaiate), abro um corte exactamente no meio do rectângulo, de extremo a extremo. O passo seguinte é coser à mão uns pontos de luva para evitar que a abertura desfie (estou a usar linha normal para fazer isto):

E depois começa-se a bordar a casa, com pontos especiais, linha torçal e usando a moldura como guia. Podem consultar um esquema exemplificativo destes pontos aqui (as instruções estão em Inglês). O resultado final é este:

Então porquê fazer este tipo de casas, mais trabalhosas, se as máquinas modernas possuem caseadores automáticos capazes de fazer casas numa fracção do tempo? Primeiro porque casas à mão, desde que bem executadas, são sempre um pormenor de classe numa peça; segundo, duram mais e mantêm uma aparência bonita durante muito mais tempo. Finalmente, há situações em que o tecido é muito volumoso, ou a casa fica num lugar de difícil acesso para o caseador automático e dá sempre jeito saber fazer estas casas, mesmo que não as apliquemos em todas as peças que costuramos.

No post anterior a Dei perguntou se para pespontar à máquina com torçal uso sempre fio normal na bobina; de facto uso sempre fio normal porque a minha máquina não aguenta fio tão grosso na bobina, encrava imediatamente. Também aumento o comprimento do ponto para este ficar mais visível e bonito e solto a tensão da agulha porque o fio mais grosso e o ponto mais comprido não necessitam de tanta tensão para o ponto ficar equilibrado entre o direito e o avesso.

E agora tenho só que acabar as casas, pregar os punhos e aplicar os botões! Até breve!

On my previous article I mentioned my little dilemma concerning the lining application on the pleat area; well, this is what I came up with: first I used bias cut strips of lining to bind the pleat longer edge because part of it will be visible on the wrong side of the jacket:

I’ve cut the lining just like I did for the jacket, with the pleat extensions, but instead of stitching the longer edges together I stitched from the opening to the bottom edge like the picture shows:

Then I turned in and stitched the lining hem; the lining hem will remain loose between the two green arrows, forming a pleat pressed to the opposite side of the pleat on the jacket; the remaining lining hem is hand-stitched to the jacket hem. This way the pleat can “open” with the movement and once the lining is pressed as a pleat, it will be clean and neat from the inside of the jacket.

I’ll show you the final result when the jacket is finished. Moving on, in the following picture there are the tailoring shoulder pads and moustache sleeveheads that I’ve elected for this jacket; as you can see, the shoulder pads are soft and thin:

Another subject that has been raising some questions is the hand-worked buttonholes; the method that I’m using is the dressmaker’s method, not the tailor method, which is more elaborated (there's a wonderful tutorial by Paco on the hand-worked tailored buttonhole).
I always frame the buttonhole with machine stitches (I hope you can see it in the next picture):

Then I use a hammer, a wood block as a base, and a special purpose tool for cutting buttonholes (this tool, the fabric that I’m using and the shoulder pads were all gifts from dear Paco), I cut open the buttonhole. Next the opening must be overcastted immediately to prevent raveling (I'm using normal thread for overcasting):

Finally the buttonhole is hand-worked performing buttonhole stitches using buttonhole twist thread. To see diagrams and another description of this procedure, click here.

This is the finished buttonhole:

Why perform this time consuming task if nowadays modern sewing machines are perfectly capable of sewing acceptable buttonholes? First I like hand-worked buttonholes; they are a classy detail and will look nicer for much longer than any machine-worked buttonhole. Second, on bulky fabrics, near the edge placements, etc, the machine buttonholer may not perform on its best. So it’s useful to be able to make hand-worked buttonholes, even if you don’t use them on all the garments that you sew.

In the previous article, Dei asked if I always use regular thread on the bobbin when using buttonhole twist for topstitching; my answer is yes, because my sewing machine (and I think most modern sewing machines) can’t handle thick thread on the bobbin. My sewing machine would jam instantly. I also set the stitch for the longest stitch setting because it looks nicer like that and I reduce the needle tension because with a thicker needle thread and longer stitch, less tension will result on a better balanced stitch.

OK, now I’m almost there! I’ll catch up with you guys later!

19 comments:

Erica Bunker said...

Looking great! I've been wanting to try handworked buttonholes. There's a great article in the Feb/Mar 2009 issue of "Threads" about them.

Christina said...

Your buttonhole is just beautiful! I can see the advantage of making them by hand, you have so much more control vs. using the sewing machine.

Adrienne said...

The buttonhole is GORGEOUS!!!!!

Adriana B. said...

I agree with you, making buttonholes by machine close to a garment edge (when the garment is a jacket) it is a disaster in the making. Your are perfect! What thread do you use when you do the buttonhole stitch?

Tany said...

Erica: Thanks!! I'll look it up when I receive that issue!

Adriana B.: Thanks! I use buttonhole twist, a special purpose thread for stitching buttonholes.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for answering my question! I so appreciate it. Excellent work on the buttonholes. They look so polished.

Bunny said...

Beautiful treatment for your vents/pleats. I am more imtimidated by hand worked buttonholes than by bound ones. Once in a while I do them in my heirloom sewing but I really should be doing more all around. Thanks for the tute.

Ann Made Studio said...

Tany such beautiful work on the buttonhole and a very well thought out solution for your lining...and I love the color of the lining :)

AllisonC said...

That's a very good point about machine buttonholes near edges of seams being difficult - I shall have to try hand sewing them - yours looks amazing. So, this jacket is originally unlined in the magazine, is that right? seems strange for a tweed jacket, maybe that's why they didn't use much interfacing - yours is going to be so much better.

Meg said...

Good information here, Tany. This makes me less afraid to do a hand-worked buttonhole.

Summerset said...

The buttonholes are perfect!

Sismada said...

Trabalho perfeito! Parabens mais uma vez! Um beijo

angie.a said...

You use handworked buttonholes because they're GORGEOUS!!! That's why! :D Beautiful jacket coming along, I can't wait to see it finished.

Anonymous said...

Your buttonholes look great. I use silk-thread for overcasting.

Best wishes,
Nina

Vicki said...

Great tips Tany. The buttonhole does look perfect. I have never seen button hole twist here in Australia - maybe it is called something else.

Anonymous said...

Boa solução a do forro! As casas de botão ficaram bem giras, sem dúvida bem melhores que à máquina!

Bjs

Mónica

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

ahhh...Tany, resolviste muy bien el asunto del forro. En cuanto a los ojales, te salió un punto perfecto. A mi siempre me quedan muy irregulares y si quiero un ojal bien hecho tengo que recurrir a la ayuda de mi hermana. Existe también la posibilidad de introducir un hilo de refuerzo que al mismo tiempo te sirve de guía. Haber si puedo preparar un tutorial con esta información. Gracias querida y hasta pronto, Paco

Ana Carina said...

Casas à mão?! Que trabalhão!

Mas como sempre, o resultado compensa. Ficou mesmo profissional.

Pam Erny said...

Tany...the buttonhole is beautiful..a work of art!