Jaqueta de tweed laranja: notas sobre a construção (1) - Orange tweed jacket: construction notes (1)

Português
English (uncheck the other box and check this one)
MUITO OBRIGADA pelas felicitações no aniversário do Couture et Tricot! Obrigada a todos(as) pelas palavras de apoio e incentivos!

Agora o assunto que nos trouxe aqui: a construção da jaqueta de tweed (para verem melhor o modelo original podem consultar a minha Lista de Projectos Outono/Inverno0809). Vou tentar evidenciar o que fiz de diferente das instruções da Burda, que neste caso são um pouco estranhas tratando-se de uma jaqueta.
Em primeiro lugar, a estrutura interior (entretelas, chumaços, etc.): as instruções mencionam entretelar a vista da frente, a parte de baixo da gola, o pé da gola, a parte de fora dos punhos, a parte de fora das paletas e a vista das costas, nada mais. Além disso não são mencionados chumaços e a jaqueta supostamente não seria forrada, ou seja, a construção de uma jaqueta de tweed como se fosse uma blusa! Entendo que o objectivo seja dar um aspecto mais descontraído, mas na minha opinião esta jaqueta requer alguma estrutura e isso nota-se na foto da revista, onde se vê que a jaqueta não cai bem nos ombros da modelo. Neste caso, e tendo em vista que a estrutura interior não deve ser demasiado rígida, resolvi utilizar dois tipos de entretelas: uma entretela termo-colante flexível e ligeira com uma trama solta, que dá estrutura sem adicionar muita rigidez ao tecido (utilizada para reforçar o painel central da frente, ombros, cavas, bainhas, vistas das pregas, parte de baixo da gola, pé da gola, local de aplicação das paletas, parte exterior das paletas e parte exterior dos punhos) e entretela de malha fininha (vista da frente, vista do decote nas costas, parte de cima da gola, parte interior dos punhos e parte interior das paletas). Além disso reforcei o decote e as cavas com fita beta. Na foto seguinte têm o detalhe da frente (com a vista entretelada com a entretela de malha fina), com o painel lateral já cosido:

Detalhe das bainhas, vistas das pregas (são pregas e não aberturas porque as vistas serão unidas ao longo do bordo mais longo) e reforço no local de colocação das paletas:

E as costas, também já com os painéis laterais:

Outra coisa estranha que as instruções mandam fazer é assentar as margens de costura dos painéis laterais em direcção ao meio; creio que no caso do tweed isto ia resultar em costuras demasiado volumosas, por isso optei por abrir as costuras a ferro. Fazendo isto temos que dar um pequeno golpe nas pregas para que elas possam ser assentes para o meio:

Além destes procedimentos, resolvi acrescentar uns chumaços pequenos e um forro completo.

Nem sempre vou ter tempo para mostrar tantos detalhes de construção, ainda mais agora que as minhas férias terminaram, mas vou fazendo os possíveis. No próximo artigo vou mostrar alguns detalhes da confecção da gola. Até à próxima!

THANK YOU ALL for the felicitations on the 2nd Anniversary of Couture et Tricot! Thank you all so much for your support and cheering!

Now moving on to the subject of today’s post: the construction of the orange tweed jacket (you can see the original model by scrolling down to the current project on my Fall/winter0809 Project List). I will try to highlight what I did differently from the BWOF’s instructions, which are a bit strange for a tweed jacket (in my opinion).
Firstly, the inner structure (interfacings, shoulder pads, etc.): the instructions will have you interfacing the front facing, back facing, under collar, collar stand, one side of the cuffs and one side of the outer flaps. No shoulder pads or lining are required, i.e., the construction is fairly similar to a blouse! I understand that the objective is obtaining an unstructured and relaxed look, but in my opinion the interfacing directions are clearly insufficient. To my defense you can observe the picture in the magazine in which the shoulders seem to collapse on the model. Having in mind that the goal would be not to exaggerate on the inner structure I decided on using two kinds of fusible interfacing: a soft loose woven interfacing that will add some structure without stiffening the fabric (front panel, shoulders, armholes, hems, pleat facings, undercollar, collar stand, flap placing area, outer flaps and outer cuffs) and very thin knit interfacing (front facings, back facing, uppercollar, inner cuffs and inner flaps). I also reinforced the armholes and the neckline with beta tape. In the next photo there’s the front (notice the different kind interfacing on the facing – that’s the very thin knit fusible), with the side panels already stitched:

Hem, pleat (it’s a pleat, not a vent; the facings will be stitched together along the longer edge) and flap placement reinforcements:

And the back, with the side panels already stitched:

Another weird thing: the instructions instruct you to press the side panel junction SAs towards the center; this would cause too much bulk (it’s tweed we are dealing with!) so I pressed them open instead. To be able to press the pleats towards the center all I had to do was to clip the allowances as the next picture shows:

Besides all this I also plan on adding small shoulder pads and a full lining.

Showing details of the construction process while sewing my garments won’t always be possible, now more than ever because my vacation break is over, but I’ll do my best when I have some time available. In the next article I’ll show you some details of the collar construction. See you soon!

17 comments:

Sheila said...

That fabric is gorgeous and thanks for sharing your techniques.

Erica Bunker said...

The fabric is gorgeous and the color is divine! I always appreciate you sharing your construction details!

Heather Dee said...

I, for one, really enjoy your blog. The clothes you make are so stylish!

To analyze your traffic, what do you use? I use google analytics and I'm surprised at the amount of traffic that I have considering my blog is only a little over a week old :) What can I say, I'm a newbie.

Keep up the good work!

Adrienne said...

I adore that color! It is my FAVORITE!!!!

KayB said...

I have to agree with you regarding the under/interlinig. I, too, think that it looks not good on the model at all - that's why I'm not that impressed with that jacket. I'm, therefore, really looking forward what you're doing out of it.

Ana's Closet said...

Tens mesmo veia de alfaiate! Contigo não há modelo de casaco que sobreviva que não tenha um cair perfeito e que não fique estruturado.
Admiro muito todo o trabalho que tens!
E talvez este ano começe a experimentar as entertelas para estruturar as golas.

Beijinhos

Anonymous said...

I'm always so impressed of how much thought you put into all the construction details.

Adriana B. said...

I love the color and have always admired you about being so unintimidated by colors! I always appreciate you divulging info on your construction process; and am always curious how others interface/stabilize their garments. Would you mind expkaining what beta tape is where do you source it from? I think it might be the bias fusible tape that is chain stitched along one edge and that i have never been able to find:)

Tany said...

Thanks Adriana B.! You'll find the information on the beta tape and the fusible bias tape reinforced with a chainstitch here: http://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com/2008/12/reforar-as-orlas-com-fita-beta-numa.html

I will add a link to this post so others can look it up too.
Hope this helps!

Summerset said...

Such a beautiful fabric and smart attention to detail. All the little decisions based on fabric and design (such as how to press that one seam) truly make your garments of the highest quality.

Eden said...

Olá Tany!
Eu fico abismada com tamanha perfeição! Fantástico este modelo, mas nem me atrevo a sequer pensar executar uma peça destas... vou-me ficando pelas coisas mais simples até ganhar o "traquejo" suficiente.
Adorei a cor e o modelo.
Continuação de bom trabalho.

Eden said...

Olá Tany!
Eu fico abismada com tamanha perfeição: já vi costureiras ditas "profissionais" a serem menos rigorosas! Ah grande talento!!!
Fantástico este modelo, mas nem me atrevo a sequer pensar executar uma peça destas... vou-me ficando pelas coisas mais simples até ganhar o "traquejo" suficiente.
Adorei a cor e o modelo é soberbo.
Continuação de bom trabalho.

Vicki said...

I was just browsing my BWOFs and was looking at this jacket and decided I did not like it. Didn't like the sloppy fit and also the belt is below the waist eventhough they say it highlights the waist. You have the talent to see beyond their photos and fix the "sloppy" fit with proper structure. Looking forward to seeing the end result. The colour is lovely and will go so well with the other pieces in the group.

Ann Made Studio said...

Tany, I'm also one that loves the fact that you share the process of making a garment perfectly. The added information you share is always useful and beyond what is provided in the instructions. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished jacket. I was drawn to this jacket mainly because of the color of their fabric but also I liked the look on the technical drawing.

AllisonC said...

I think the changes you are making will result in a far superior jacket than the BWOF version. thanks for sharing them, it's always a learning experience (and inspiration) to read your blog.

Celina said...

Esse modelo despertou-me a atenção quando comprei a revista por ter um traço original, sobretudo as mangas, parecidas com uma blusa, mas estava longe de me aperceber desses pormenores em relação à estrutura e ao cair. Por isso é que é óptimo ver-te fazer as peças e aprender com a tua experiência.
Tenho de dizer também que ADORO o tecido que escolheste. Que cor espectacular para um tweed, é lindo. Acho que vai ficar perfeito e claro, com um cair impecável!
Bjs

PS - Comecei no meu novo emprego. Espero, sinceramente, vir a ter tempo para me dedicar a estas coisas como tu! És um exemplo (e ainda dizes que vais passar a ir ao ginásio 4 vezes por semana????!!!), como um amigo meu diria, "uma super diva"! :D

Anonymous said...

I fell in love with this jacket as soon as I received this issue, but I have not decided on the fabric yet. I was thinking of a doubleknit rather than a tweed. I am too small to wear tweed, it overwhelms me. I'm glad that you are working on constructing this style, as I will be watching carefully for the finished project and your details for some guidance.