2006 #4: Burda 9/2006 Casaco 126A – BWOF 9/2006 126A Coat

Este casaco foi a minha última obra de 2006 (não é o último projecto de 2006 que vou mostrar aqui…). Alguns de vocês devem lembrar-se de ter visto esta foto no meu segundo post. Hoje resolvi mostrar mais uns detalhes.
This coat is my last 2006 finished garment (actually I finished it on the 31st of December!!), but it won't be the last 2006 project reviewed here… Some of you might remember seeing this photo on my second blog entry; today I will make a detailed review.

Como de costume tracei o tamanho 38; não fiz qualquer alteração no molde, excepto aumentar 1cm nas mangas; medi-o todo para ter a certeza que o comprimento estava bem e que não ia ficar nem muito apertado nem muito largo, tendo sempre em vista que se trata de um casaco sobretudo, ou seja, deve ter folga suficiente para ser usado sobre várias peças de roupa. As mangas, por serem cortadas numa única peça em vez de duas, causaram-me alguma apreensão, perfeitamente infundada pois as mangas até ficaram a cair muito bem (mangas com duas peças, como as do casaco Orwell, costumam ser anatomicamente mais correctas e costumam cair melhor).
As usual, I traced a size 38 (European); no alterations except for the sleeve length (added an extra 1cm). I measured the pattern pieces to be sure of wearing ease and coat’s total length. I kept in mind that this coat is intended as an overcoat and not a fitted coat. Sleeves were a major concern: I was apprehensive for its one piece design (two piece sleeves tend to be more anatomically correct and to hang better than one piece sleeves) but I had nothing to worry about because they turned out really well. I managed to ease them smoothly (see lapels detail picture ahead).
Podem ver as fotografias do casaco original:
These are pictures from the magazine:

E o esquema:
And this is the line drawing:
O tecido que usei é misto à base de lã (podem ver o pormenor na próxima foto, da lapela) e para forro usei cetim preto. O casaco é todo forrado e o forro está pregado à bainha (costumo coser à máquina o forro, depois de completamente costurado, às vistas da frente e do decote de uma só vez e depois cosê-lo à mão nas bainhas já costuradas, tanto do casaco como das mangas). Tive alguns problemas com o tecido: tive que o passar com muito vapor várias vezes até ter a certeza que tinha encolhido tudo o que tinha a encolher antes de o cortar e aplicar as entretelas.
The fabric used is a thick wool blend (see the lapel/shoulder detail in next picture) and it ravels a lot (Grrr). I used black satin as full attached lining (I usually machine sew finished lining to front/back facings and then I hand stitch it on both coat’s body hem and sleeve hem; the way I do it, you won’t be able to tell the difference between machine and hand stitching). I had to take special care with this fabric, pressing it more than once with lots (and I mean LOTS!) of steam. The fabric kept shrinking and shrinking… I cut the fabric after being sure this wouldn’t happen anymore.
Na foto seguinte vêm um pouco do forro e também que o fecho do casaco é feito com molas de pressão por baixo dos botões, em vez de casas! Resolvi seguir o modelo original neste caso pois este método de fecho é aconselhável em tecidos grossos e que desfiem muito, como o tecido em causa. Se fizesse casas, nunca as faria à máquina e optar por casas avivadas (quando puder vou falar deste tipo de casas, típicas de trabalhos de alfaiataria e alta-costura) ia trazer-me problemas de demasiado volume nas costuras (pelo facto do tecido ser tão grosso).
In the next picture you can see the lining and the closures; I decided to stick to the original closures (snaps under the buttons, instead of buttonholes) because of this fabric’s thickness and ravelling. I used large black snaps.

Para que o casaco ficasse com bom aspecto tive que prestar especial atenção à passagem a ferro enquanto costurava. É muito importante assentar bem as costuras, por vezes até pressioná-las com um bloco de madeira enquanto estão quentes e húmidas para que se consiga reduzir ao máximo o volume das costuras. A entretela a usar também deve ser bastante flexível para não acrescentar mais rigidez à que o tecido já tem. As zonas que entretelei seguem o mesmo procedimento do casaco Orwell (Casaco Orwell #5: Entretela), incluindo os valores de costura das bainhas.
It’s very important to mind the pressing procedure while sewing (lots of pounding here). I also did everything I could to reduce seam bulk (I graded SAs, notched SAs at hem’s fold lines, etc.). The interfacing used was soft and knitted (fusible), I didn’t want to increase fabric’s stiffness). I used the same interfacing procedure as for the Orwell coat (see Orwell Coat #5).

Um pormenor que alterei foi a colocação das bandas dos bolsos: no original estas bandas são meramente decorativas e são colocadas à frente da entrada do bolso; no meu caso fazem mesmo parte da entrada do bolso, ou seja, tornaram-se funcionais, resguardando a entrada dos bolsos (que são bolsos metidos na costura):
I did a small design alteration: The pocket flaps are attached to the side and not to the front, so they can “guard” inseam pocket opening!

Em seguida podem ver o casaco de trás e de lado e também reparar que tive o cuidado de casar os quadrados ao longo das costuras:
Next you can see coat’s back and side view; notice that I’ve matched the fabric’s plaids on every seam:

Este casaco ficou com um cair óptimo, é muito quente e confortável de usar; neste momento posso dizer que é o meu casaco favorito, uso-o muitas vezes.
This coat turned out great! It’s warm and comfortable to wear; At this moment this is my favourite coat and I wear it very often!

Espero que vos tenha inspirado a costurar!
I hope this review inspires you on your sewing!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Tany! It will carry you into the Spring, as well.

Anonymous said...

Sem duvida, ao ver o teu blog dá vontade de pagar nas agulhas e máquina. O caso ficou muito bem!

Bjs

Mónica

filomena said...

Uau! Ficou um mimo!

Vonnevo said...

Fabulous Tany !!!

Els said...

Tany your coat looks fabulous. You are a skilled dressmaker. Last summer I spend a week near Aveiro, wish we could have met each other.

Anonymous said...

Your coat turned out beautifully! My coat is currently 'in progress', but seeing yours makes me want to finally get back to mine.

Leslie in Austin said...

Bravo, Tany. Your coat is a masterpiece.

Lorna said...

Beautiful work! How did you attach the buttons on top of the snaps?

Anonymous said...

Tany,

Caso decidas fazer a camisola vai so link que coloquei buscar o modelo. No meu caso não utilizei um fio identico, e por isso tive uma tensão diferente (usei agulhas 8, o que facilitou a fazer). Caso tenhas alguma duvida, é só dizer que com muito gosto te ajudo!

Bjs

Mónica

Erica Bunker said...

Beautiful coat.

Tany said...

You guys are so nice! Thank you all for the kind comments! I welcome those who visit for the first time!
Lorna: I attached buttons first and then I hand sewed the snaps in place, being careful to keep the alignment on both fronts. This is a nice solution when dealing with thick fabric. I thought of doing bound buttonholes first and even tried one on double layer of interfaced garment fabric; in the end the buttonhole was terribly bulky! So I decided to give this "snap" method a try and it really turned out fine!
Els: It would have been an honor to meet you! Please do tell me if you ever come back! I would be delighted to meet you and to show you this beautiful town! Some people call it the Portuguese Venice! It’s very nice and beautiful, worth visiting if you ever come to Portugal again!
Monica Obrigada mais uma vez!

Ms Kat said...

great work, it looks amazing.

Stephanie said...

I love your coat. It's perfect.

Anonymous said...

Hello, filhota! Ateh as tuas amigas bloggers jah te estao a ver como uma "profissional"...Bravo! Continua! Nao sei ateh onde vais chegar. Sinto um enorme orgulho em ser a tua mae "velhota"... Beijinhos. Mae

Tany said...

I would like to thank all of you for your nice comments! I welcome Mary Beth, Vonne (Vonnevo?), Lorna, Ms Cat and Stephanie to this blog!

ifthisistuesday.wordpress.com said...

Such a wonderful coat you made there; I really love it, and you've inspired me to haul mine (I made one of these too) out of the closet and see if I can do anything about the buttonholes I messed up. Poor coat! Everything went wrong with that project that possibly could, but I just love the fabric I used, and it's really such a nice design. The coat still manages to look pretty even though it got all screwed up, so I think it's worth trying to save, though I don't know if I can. But you're inspiring me to at least try.

And thanks so much for the info re: thread tracing and muslins; I've stowed that away for a future occasion.

Lisa