Algumas considerações – A few considerations

Tenho que dizer que vocês são maravilhosas e agradecer a todas que aqui passam e deixam uma palavra de incentivo! Isto faz-me sentir que estou a conseguir passar a palavra sobre a costura por aqui!
I must say this: you guys are great! I want to thank all of you who visit and write so many words of encouragement! This makes me feel that I'm succeeding on spreading the sewing gospel around here!

Quanto a projectos futuros de costura, estão a acumular-se ideias mais rapidamente do que eu as consigo concretizar! Já sabem que tento mostrar sempre os passos importantes na confecção, mas também à medida que este "diário" progride não há necessidade de me repetir. Vou concentrar o meu tempo e esforço em explicar técnicas das quais ainda não tenha falado ou aprofundar certos assuntos que suscitem mais dúvidas. Tal é o caso da marcação do tecido com alinhavos e da técnica de "empastar" e no meu próximo projecto vou dedicar um post só a esse tema para tentar esclarecer como se faz, para que serve, as vantagens e desvantagens desta técnica. Uma coisa importante que quero frisar é que marcar com alinhavos por si só não faz uma peça cair bem miraculosamente ou resolver outros problemas que depois surgem na confecção. O que marcar com alinhavos faz é garantir que o molde é reproduzido no tecido de forma precisa e duradoura; é um método que demora muito tempo e que requer alguma prática. Eu gosto de fazer as coisas assim porque o processo me acalma e dá-me tempo para pensar bem em todos os passos de execução. É uma espécie de terapia meditativa! Há técnicas mais rápidas de preparar o tecido que resultam muito bem se o corte for bem feito; marcar com alinhavos não substitui a escolha do tecido certo, uma boa prova, o corte respeitando o correr do fio nos tecidos e a aplicação das melhores técnicas na confecção!
As for future projects, ideas are queuing faster than I'm able to make them come true! As you know, I try my best to share with you all the relevant construction steps when making a garment but I also feel that there is no need to repeat myself as this "sewing journal" proceeds. I will dedicate my time and effort to trying to explain different techniques as I apply them and also give you an insight on those techniques I feel are subject for more doubts and questions. This is the case for "thread tracing" and "tailor tacks", so I will write a post addressing these subjects, showing you how I do it, why I do it, its advantages and disadvantages. I want to make this very clear: thread tracing alone won't make a beautiful and well fitted garment! What thread tracing does is making sure all the pattern lines and outlines are well reproduced on the fabric. You must make a good fitting and apply the better techniques (those that work for you) during the construction process; you must choose the right fabric, cut it correctly minding the grain and make it work as a whole. Thread tracing is a time-consuming technique; I do it because it calms me down and I while I'm thread tracing all kinds of ideas come into my mind; I visualize the finish garment, plan the better techniques, figure out what I'm going to do, on what order and to what purpose. It's my own "Zen" thing. There are many of you that are curious so I will try to explain how I do it using my next project as an example.

Bem, agora falando um pouco do que se segue: vou fazer um pequeno intervalo dos vestidos e fazer um conjunto preto que implica usar um molde de umas calças da Burda que já fiz e outro molde da Patrones para uma jaqueta! O facto de costurar calças (ou melhor dizendo, corsários pelo joelho) vai permitir mostrar muita coisa nova e interessante; quanto à jaqueta, acho que o interesse cai no molde e no efeito que quero criar com a adição de organza de seda a algumas partes do modelo original. Fazer este conjunto em preto vai permitir mostrar bem como se marca com os alinhavos!
As for my next sewing project, I will present it later; I can tell you in advance that I'm making a small detour on dresses and I will make this one a suit instead. It's going to be a black suit (which is good for explaining the thread tracing technique) and I'm using a BWOF's pant pattern (I've used this pattern before) and a Patrones' jacket pattern. Sewing pants (or should I say knee length shorts instead) will provide the opportunity for sharing a lot of new interesting details; as for the jacket, the highlight will be on the pattern and the added silk organza details.

Até breve!
See you soon!

11 comments:

Oficina das Linhas said...

Olá Tany,

Foi por acaso que descobri o seu blog. Acabei de o ler um pouco por alto porque já é tarde e os olhos começam a piscar... Mas queria dizer-lhe: Parabéns... Só tenho pena de morar tão longe porque senão fazia-me a umas aulas, nem era preciso aulas, bastava-me ficar a olhar para o seu trabalho, estou a brincar... ou se calhar não, eh.

Comprei umas burdas e tenho tentado fazer qualquer coisa mas sózinha e sem grandes noções, fica muito dificil. Depois leio e leio as instruções mas começo a ficar cada vez mais baralhada. Mas queria continuar a tentar. Vou fazendo visitas ao teu blog, lendo atentamente e talvez consiga evoluir mais um bocadinho.

Obrigada, Carmen

renee said...

Ahhhh, you refer to 'city shorts'. I've been having a debate with another sewing friend on whether they are appropriate for work. I'm dying for a pair, but think they are too trendy for where I am.

And you re right. Thread tracing out patterns does help you think it all through. Thanks for getting me, the laziest sewer around, to do it!

dawn said...

Actually, I don't think it hurts any to repeat techniques that you feature. I often refer to the same reference books over and over. You can't remember everything in sewing. Anyway, every project is a little different. And too, your sewing has to be for you,not for us. We'll learn something by watching whatever you do, be it a 3 piece suit or a wrap skirt. Just my 3 cents.

Vicki said...

Can't wait!

Adrienne said...

Can't wait to see your suit girl!

Tany said...

Oficina das Linhas: Olá e muito bem-vinda ao Couture et Tricot! Fico muito contente que me visite e espero que encontre aqui inspiração, motivação e ajuda para os seus trabalhos! Um beijinho!

Cidell: I'm using that BWOF pattern for the Marlene Dietrich's style pants that match my "Prince of Wales" suit! You'll like it for sure!

Dawn Thank you! You're right, of course! I said what I said because blogging takes so much time and energy... So I plan to focus on new things when I make my step by step tutorials and link to the previous posts where I already explained the other techniques involved; there was no need to write about the zipper insertion or the finishing with a button and a fabric loop (for ex.) on my last dress because those subjects where addressed before recently...

Obrigada pela vossa visita!
Thank you all for visitting!

Anonymous said...

I am happy about this because I have been reading up on thread tracing which I am going to do with my new project for the pleats and what not

Anonymous said...

I have been sewing for years and years, but I have never seen thread tracing until I started reading your blog. I am so curious to see this process. I am already a better seamstress since I found your blog. Thank you.

Chuana said...

Fico à espera de ver o conjunto! Estou certa de que sairá lindo também! :)


Bjx
Chuana :)

Audrey said...

Olá Tany, adorei o seu vestido lhe caiu muito bem ficou lindo.
Estarei aguardando o seu próximo projeto pra aprender com você, adoro os seus pap.
Um beijo,
Audrey

Tany said...

Anonymous: Thank you so much for this big compliment! I hope you keep visiting and, if it is the first time you're commenting, welcome to Couture et Tricot!