Me and the sewing machines - Eu e as máquinas de costura

EN Summary: Having bought an industrial sewing machine not long ago made me think about the older mechanic sewing machines that I used from early age, trying to give them the context and relevance that they deserve. Keep on reading, hope you'll enjoy this article!
---
PT Sumário: A aquisição de uma máquina industrial de ponto corrido há pouco tempo fez-me pensar nas máquinas de costura que utilizei desde muito novinha, e aqui queria deixar o meu tributo, contextualizando-as e dando-lhes o destaque que merecem. Continuem a ler, espero que gostem!



EN: I’ve been sewing most of my life on domestic sewing machines and the first ones I ever used were purely mechanic. I was fortunate to learn how a sewing machine works from a professional seamstress: how to make it run by bouncing a large foot pedal (aka treadle) and also how to perform the basic maintenance operations: threading, changing the needle, adjusting the tensions and the different stitches; she also taught me how to clean and oil the sewing machine properly (her sewing machine was an Oliva from the 50s, you can read about this Portuguese brand here). I learned all this before making my first garment because this seamstress was trained this same way in a men’s pants factory: the seamstresses were supposed to care and maintain their tools and the sewing machine was the most important tool of all. 
---
PT: Desde os 10-11 anos que costuro com máquinas domésticas e a primeiras máquinas que tive acesso eram completamente mecânicas. Tive a sorte de aprender com uma costureira profissional como uma máquina de costura funciona, como a fazer coser através de um pedal que oscilava para a frente e para trás e também como fazer a sua manutenção básica; passar as linhas, mudar a agulha, ajustar as tensões e os diferentes pontos; além disso ela também me ensinou como limpar e olear a máquina (a dela era uma Oliva dos anos 50, toda em ferro; podem ler acerca desta marca Portuguesa aqui). Aprendi tudo isto antes de fazer a minha primeira peça na máquina, pois a senhora que me ensinou aprendeu da mesma forma numa fábrica de calças para homem: as costureiras aprendiam a cuidar e manter as suas ferramentas de trabalho e a máquina de costura era a ferramenta mais importante de todas. 
I learned to sew at eleven years of age using the Oliva CL-50 
Aprendi a coser numa CL-50 da Oliva com apenas 11 anos

EN: While researching about the Oliva sewing machines I found a YouTube channel (in Portuguese) containing several videos about the operation and maintenance of the Oliva CL-50, which was a model produced by Oliva in Portugal circa 1950. I leave you with one of these videos (YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ZvTy-YyxQ&t=234s).
---
PT: Durante a minha pesquisa sobre a marca Oliva encontrei um canal YouTube de uma Portuguesa que tem uma CL-50, publicando vários vídeos da operação e manutenção da máquina, que foi um modelo produzido pela Oliva em Portugal nos anos 50. Deixo-vos com um dos seus videos (link YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ZvTy-YyxQ&t=234s).
EN: I also found a Flickr photo gallery containing many photos of Oliva sewing machines and the Oliva factory where they were produced; you can review by clicking here (it's truly interesting, trust me).
---
PT: Também encontrei uma galeria de fotos no Flickr com muitas fotos das máquinas Oliva e da fábrica onde eram produzidas, que podem aceder clicando aqui (é realmente interessante, garanto-vos).


EN: Having learned how to operate and maintain the Oliva CL-50 it didn't took long for me to get my hands on my mother’s old Singer sewing machine (if I remember well, it was a Singer Fashion Mate 252); I was only ten or eleven years old when my mother came home from work one day and found her sewing machine (which had been stored without use for many years) cleaned and oiled; I had it fine-tuned and stitching perfectly all by myself. Since that day not even the bed sheets were safe from me in my parent's house: I would turn every fabric I could find into clothes for myself!

PT: Depois de ter aprendido como usar e manter a Oliva CL-50, não demorou muito tempo até meter as mãos na máquina da minha mãe; um dia ela chegou a casa do emprego e encontrou-me com a máquina dela (uma Singer também mecânica que estava guardada sem uso há anos; creio que o modelo era o Singer Fashion Mate 252) completamente limpa, oleada e afinada. Meti-a a coser perfeitamente, com apenas 11 anos. A partir desse dia nem os lençóis estavam a salvo em casa dos meus pais; transformava todos os tecidos que conseguia encontrar em roupa para mim.

My mother's sewing machine was a mechanic Singer 252 (photo kindly shared by Sally Walter from the blog SewWonderful who owns the same model; you can read her original article here).
A máquina da minha mãe era uma Singer 252 mecânica (esta foto foi gentilmente cedida pela Sally Walter do blogue SewWonderful, que tem uma igual; podem ver o artigo original dela aqui).

EN: Years later (circa 1990) I bought my first sewing machine , a “portable” Singer 1288 with an electric motor attached. I used to clean and oil it the same way as I did with my mother's (it was still a mechanic sewing machine with an iron chassis and iron parts; instead of the cabinet and treadle it had a plug and a smaller foot pedal). It had a drop-down bobbing system and lot of decorative stitches, achieved by installing the different stitch pattern disks provided with the sewing machine. It served me well for more than 15 years, when I started to feel seduced by the newer electronic models. So far It's easy to understand that I don't mind getting grease on my hands and I really love and try to understand sewing machine mechanics.

PT: No início dos anos 90 comprei a minha primeira máquina de costura: uma Singer 1288 “portátil” com motor elétrico incorporado. Costumava limpá-la e oleá-la da mesma forma que aprendi quando era miúda (era uma máquina mecânica na mesma, só que em vez de estar num móvel com um pedal de pé tinha um fio eléctrico e um pedal mais pequeno). E máquina serviu-me muito bem por mais de 15 anos (só a troquei porque comecei a ficar seduzida pelos novos modelos eletrónicos). É fácil de perceber que desde cedo não me importava de sujar as mãos com óleo e a mecânica das máquinas de costura sempre me fascinou.
The sewing machine I bought with my first wages: the Singer 1288
A máquina que comprei com os meus primeiros ordenados: a Singer 1288

EN: I decided to get a new sewing machine when I was planning to sew a silk organza blouse; my singer 1288 didn't seem to have the "finesse" required to sew such delicate fabric (I know, it's debatable), specially regarding its 4-step buttonholes. I set my mind into buying an electronic sewing machine with more capabilities and ended up deciding on the Viking Huskystar C-20, a wonderful little electronic sewing machine. You can read my old post about buying a new sewing machine here, see a sample of the buttonholes on silk organza here and also see the finished silk organza blouse (sewn with the Viking Huskystar C-20) here.
---
PT: Decidi-me a comprar uma máquina de costura nova quando estava a planear fazer uma blusa de organza de seda; a minha Singer 1288 não parecia ter a "finesse" necessária para lidar com um tecido tão delicado (eu sei, é discutível), especialmente no que tocava às casas de botão com 4 passos. Decidi que precisava de uma máquina electrónica com mais capacidades e acabei por comprar a Huskystar C-20, uma máquinazinha estupenda. Podem ler o artigo sobre a compra de uma nova máquina de costura aqui, outro artigo ondo mostro as casas de botão feitas com a nova máquina aqui e também podem apreciar a blusa de organza pronta que confecionei com a Huskystar C-20 aqui.

My first electronic sewing machine, the Viking Huskystar C-20
A minha primeira máquina de costura eletrónica, a Viking Huskystar C-20

EN: I loved this sewing machine although I wouldn't get grease on my hands anymore: this machine was oil-free, no need to oil it at all. Its care and maintenance consisted only in keeping it clean, specially the plastic drop-down bobbin case which had to be lint free for the machine to operate properly. I learned that the electronic sewing machines are more sensible and not only I had to clean it more often, it was also a lot more pickier with the needle size and type. My late sewing machine would sew through almost anything, just changing the needle size accordingly. When it would start to get cranky, unscrewing the front and bottom covers and oiling it as I had learned many years ago would solve most issues. With the electronic sewing machine I didn't have to worry about the oiling at all, just getting the correct needle size and type and keeping the bobbin case lint free. It had jammed on me a couple of times though, but taking the bobbin case out and cleaning the whole sorrounding area would solve it. The only issue with the C-20 was the extensive use I was putting her through. Not being a professional seamstress, I sew a LOT! Six years later (in 2013) the Pfaff Ambition Essential with IDT came home with me because I felt I needed a sturdier sewing machine. The Ambition Essential is also electronic but a lot more sturdier. Still oil free and sensible, though. It has an amazing selection of utility and decorative stitches and the added advantage of the IDT (it's basically an incorporated walking foot mechanism which makes it very good with sewing knits and other difficult to feed fabrics). It stitches wonderful buttonholes and it's perfect for lingerie sewing (providing you're using the right needle, of course!).
---
PT: Gostei muito da Huskystar, embora tenha deixado de sujar as mãos com óleo; esta máquina não precisava de óleo e a sua manutenção consistia apenas em mantê-la muito bem limpa, principalmente na área da caixa da bobina (que era das horizontais, de plástico, com tampa transparente). Aprendi às minhas custas que as máquinas eletrónicas são muito mais sensíveis à sujidade que se acumula nesta área e também ao tipo de agulha. Se não usasse o tipo e o tamanho adequado (ponta redonda para malhas, ponta extra-afiada para tecidos como microfibras, etc.), a máquina não cosia bem. Encravou algumas vezes, mas resolvia sempre o assunto desencaixando a caixa da bobina e limpando/aspirando toda a área circundante. Em contraste a máquina mecânica cosia praticamente tudo com uma agulha universal; quando começava a ficar um pouco barulhenta, desaparafusava as tampas e uma boa limpeza e um pouco de óleo nos sítios corretos punha-a a ronronar como um gatinho. O problema com a C-20 foi só um: o uso intensivo que lhe dava. Não sendo profissional, eu coso MUITO mesmo. A C-20 começou a acusar algum desgaste e passados seis anos decidi que precisava de uma máquina mais robusta. Em 2013 comprei a minha Pfaff Ambition Essential, um modelo considerado semi-profissional, também eletrónica, mas com bastantes mais funcionalidades em termos de pontos utilitários e decorativos. Como a Huskystar, também não precisava de óleo e é uma máquina sensível à sujidade e tipo de agulha,... Vem com um sistema de arrasto duplo incluído, o IDT, que a faz ser excelente para coser malhas e outros tecidos difíceis. Para coser lingerie, então é ótima (com a agulha indicada, claro!), e faz umas casas de botão super-perfeitas, de vários formatos.



The Pfaff Ambition Essential with IDT
A Pfaff Ambition Essential com IDT

EN: I continued to sew like a madwoman and not too long ago (in February 2017) something happened for the first time in my life: my sewing machine jammed and lost its timing. I was not capable to fix it on my own and I had to get it serviced at the local dealer. The thought of not being able to sew (my previous sewing machines were all donated or sold) was bringing me down, together with the realization that electronic sewing machines are really sensible and it takes a little more than basic mechanics, a screwdriver and some oil to get them fixed. I decided I needed a spare sewing machine and one which would not be electronic. I bought the Singer Heavy-duty 4423.
---
PT: Cotinuei a costurar como uma doida e não vai há muito tempo (em Fevereiro de 2017) aconteceu algo que nunca me tinha acontecido: A Pfaff Ambition encravou e perdeu o sincronismo (deixou mesmo de coser). Não a consegui arranjar eu mesma, por isso teve de ir para a loja de reparações local para ser arranjada. A noção que iria passar uma semana ou mais sem poder costurar estava mesmo a incomodar-me, além do facto de que noções básicas de mecânica, uma chave-de-fendas e óleo não serem suficientes para por a máquina a coser outra vez. Decidi que precisava de uma máquina supelente e essa máquina não seria eletrónica: comprei a Singer Heavy-duty 4423.
EN: It's a mechanic sewing machine with an electric motor (90 Watts - allegedly more powerful than most domestic use sewing machines; yet I can't see much difference when comparing it with the Ambition Essential, which is also more powerful and fast than the average domestic sewing machine); it feels a lot like my old Singer 1288 yet it adds some very useful utility stitches (the "stretch stitches") and a one-step buttonhole (just one pattern though). I didn't challenge it much since I mainly used it while the Pfaff was being serviced but it's a good sewing machine for general sewing and it sews heavy fabrics quite well; I also used it to sew bras and it behaved very well also. It lacks the bells and whistles of the electronic sewing machines (no digital needle position, no needle-down, no reverse by pressing a button - instead it has a lever on the head of the machine (near the thread take-up lever) which has to be hold down to keep the machine running backwards. The bobbin case is plastic like the electronic sewing machines and it's also oil free so yes, no grease on my hands with this one either. Having made my research on heavy-duty sewing machines, the thought of having an industrial lockstitch sewing machine started to germinate in my mind,...
---
PT: É uma máquina mecânica com motor elétrico (90W: alegadamente mais potente do que a generalidade das máquinas domésticas, mas francamente não parece mais potente do que o da Pfaff Ambition Essential, que já é uma máquina mais potente e rápida); trabalha como a minha antiga Singer 1288, mas tem mais um conjunto de pontos muito úteis, os pontos elásticos e uma casa automática num só passo (só um padrão de casa). Não pus esta máquina verdadeiramente à prova porque só a usei enquanto a Pfaff estava para arranjar, mas parece ser uma boa máquina para costura genérica e cose bem tanto tecidos grossos como lingerie. É claro que lhe faltam as facilidades das eletrónicas, como o posicionamento da agulha preciso com um botão, a função de terminar com a agulha em baixo, o retrocesso só carregando num botão (nesta tem uma alavanca ao lado do estica-fio que tem de se manter pressionada para a máquina coser para trás). A caixa da bobina é de plástico como nas eletrónicas e também não precisa de ser oleada, por isso também não era desta que ia sujar as mãos. E foi então que se me meteu na cabeça que queria uma máquina industrial,...

EN: This (the Sewmaq SWD-Q1) is my latest addition (or is it addiction?); all my previous sewing machines feel like plastic toys now (except the Olivia CL-50, of course!) I am happy to say I have been using a screwdriver and getting grease on my hands more often (not in a bad way, mind you!). More on that later when I tell you what I learned about basic industrial sewing machine maintenance and set-up!
---
PT: Esta é a última aquisição (a Sewmaq SWD-Q1) e agora todas a minhas máquinas anteriores parecem brinquedos de plástico - exceto a Oliva, claro! Posso anunciar desde já que tenho usado a chave-de-fendas e sujado as mãos com óleo com alguma frequência (e não é por a máquina se portar mal!). Depois conto-vos o que tenho aprendido sobre a manutenção e a mecânica destas máquinas, nomeadamente os ajustes que podemos fazer!

4 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

You have had some really beautiful and efficient machines. Congratulations on getting your new industrial machine.

Celina said...

Que bela retrospectiva sobre as máquinas de costura da tua vida! :) A minha primeira máquina de costura e ainda actual é a Riccar doméstica que era da minha mãe (ela cose tão pouco que me deu a máquina a mim), uma marca japonesa que estava em voga há uns 30 anos, tem o corpo em ferro, está embutida num móvel e é bastante robusta como doméstica, mas lá está não se compara a uma industrial... Em relação à manutenção, também sou muito curiosa e há uns tempos des-sincronizou-se a lançadeira da bobine com a agulha… como fazia 2 semanas que ela tinha ido ao técnico e não me apetecia levá-la outra vez, abri-a e com a ajuda do namorado lá conseguimos perceber e resolver o problema, foi uma sensação espectacular de "dominar" a máquina! :D Acho o máximo que com 11 anos já falasses a linguagem delas! Como já falámos, também tenho andado de olho nas máquinas industriais, esta semana visitei o stand da Costura Urbana na FIA e estive a falar com o sr. José, ele tinha lá Sewmaq e fiquei a perceber porque é que escolheste esta marca. ;) A propósito, eles estão com um passatempo para quem visita o stand e vão sortear uma máquina (tinha de taggar 3 amigas na publicação, espero que não te importes por eu te ter “taggado”!) Beijinhos

cidell said...

Wonderful and fun read, Tany.

rvdzik said...

You write about your sewing machines with such affection that it's just pure joy to read. Can't wait for the post about the new industrial machine upkeep!