A pale yellow pant suit - Um fato-calça amarelo pálido


http://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN Summary: Suits are among my favorite garments to sew, specially blazers; today I want to show you a pant suit that I finished in May, made of pale yellow suiting fabric from my stash. The following article was originally posted on tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com (keep reading the full article).
---
PT Sumário: Fatos são das peças que mais me dá gosto confecionar, especialmente os blazers; hoje tenho para vos mostrar um fato-calça que terminei de fazer ainda em Maio, usando um tecido amarelo do meu stock. Continuem a ler o artigo completo, originalemnte publicado em tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com.

UPDATE: Find photos of me wearing the pale yellow pant suit on Tany et La Mode (click here).
---
ATUALIZAÇÃO: Vejam fotos minhas a usar este fato no Tany et La Mode (cliquem aqui).

EN: Confinement has had a positive effect in my sewing: with fabric/notion shops closed, I had to look more into what I had at home and think less about buying new fabrics and stuff for any project in mind. The idea for this suit came up while I was organizing my stash of closures (zippers, snaps, buckles, etc.). I came across this original clasp bought years ago, in the spur of the moment, just because it was cute and original. I had no idea then on where to use it but thought it was a good piece to have, so it came home with me and has been living in my stash for a few years now. Looking at it I remembered a pale yellow suiting that I had stored somewhere,... and went to fetch it. The fabric was in fact three pieces of fabric, each measuring around 1.5 yards in length and 55" wide. Enough for a suit, I thought. I have been seeing lots of pale yellow pant suits on the runaways (check out some examples here) and I could make one for myself with this fabric,... The clasp requires a jacket or blazer without overlap and I had just the pattern with that feature: DP Studio's Le801 that came included in a SoChicBox! It would look great with the clasp... So do I have enough for the pants also? Yeah I do, but not wide leg pants, perhaps a narrow leg, shorter model... I have been willing to try DP's Le3003, which has some interesting features and is rated easy, so I pulled it up too. Do I have the lining? Yes, a long enough piece of off-white anti-static lining was also living in my lining stash. Fusible interfacing? Not a problem, I have stashed plenty of it. What about thread? I had a small spool of the same exact pale yellow color, certainly not enough for the entire suit,... But I do have large spools of beige sewing thread, which is close enough. I had all I needed and a plan, so it started.
---
PT: O confinamento teve um efeito positivo nas minhas costuras: com as lojas de tecidos e aviamentos fechadas, tive de me voltar mais para o que tinha já cá em casa; em vez de pensar num projeto qualquer e depois sair para ir comprar o que necessitava, passei a olhar para o que tenho e depois pensar o que posso fazer com isso. A ideia para este fato surgiu enquanto estava a organizar a caixa onde guardo os fechos, fivelas, molas, etc. Encontrei este fecho que comprei anos atrás, só porque o achei bonito e diferente, sem qualquer projeto em mente para o aplicar. E assim ficou guardado alguns anos, até o ter encontrado novamente. Ao olhar para ele pensei que ficaria muito bem num tecido amarelo-pálido que também tinha comprado há tempos, sem ideia específica do que fazer com ele. Fui procurar o tecido e dei-me conta que eram de facto três retalhos de aproximadamente 1.4m de comprimento cada um, ou seja, suficiente para fazer um fato, pensei logo. Tenho visto muitos fatos amarelo-pálido nas passereles ultimamente (vejam aqui alguns exemplos),... Podia perfeitamente fazer um fato assim para mim,... Ora o fecho requer um modelo sem trespasse/botões na frente e já tenho o molde ideal: DP Studio Le801, um molde incluso numa SoChicBox! O fecho ia ficar a matar nesse blazer,... Terei tecido suficiente para umas calças também? Pois desde que não sejam muito largas, haverá tecido. Pensei num molde que queria experimentar, o DP's 3003, o qual tem umas características diferentes e é classificado como fácil. Pu-lo logo de parte junto com o molde do blazer. Terei forro para estas peças? Pois sim, na caixa onde guardo os forros tinha lá um pedaço de forro anti-estático branco-pérola, ideal. Quanto a entretelas, também tenho um stock grande, por isso não há problema. E linhas de costura? Na cor exata só tinha 1 carrinho pequeno, claramente unsuficiente para coser um fato de duas peças,... Mas linha beige serve perfeitamente e dessa tenho vários cones. Pois o plano estava traçado, foi só por as mãos na massa.
http://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: Regarding the blazer Le801, there's not much to add to my previous articles; I've sewn this pattern three times already (click here to get a listing of all related articles, in reverse publication order). It is a minimalist design with fronts that butt together, and a discrete standing collar. The fronts have horizontal seams where the pockets are inserted. The sleeves are two-piece sleeves with vents (no buttons/buttonholes) and there's also a vent on the center back. The pattern instructions don't include adding shoulder-pads but I did add small (3/8" high) shoulder-pads to this blazer. I've cut DP Studio size 40 without alterations to the pattern.
---
PT: Quanto ao blazer Le801, não há muito a acrescentar; já fiz este modelo três vezes (cliquem aqui para obterem os artigos por ordem decrescente de data de publicação). Tem um design minimalista com frentes que se tocam sem sobreposição ou fecho, e uma gola em pé discreta. Nas frente há um recorte horizontal onde se insere o bolso metido na costura. As mangas têm duas folhas e aberturas nos punhos (sem botões ou casas) e também há uma abertura na costura central atrás. As instruções não mencionam instalar ombreiras mas neste caso decidi usar umas ombreiras pequenas (1cm de altura). Cortei o tamanho DP Studio 40 sem alterações.
dpstudio-fashion.com
EN: DP Studio's method of pattern making is quite exquisite regarding the tailored two-piece sleeves design and I really love how they turn out. Besides the cutting, there's also the shaping the sleeve with steam pressing, which is an advanced tailored technique. The sleeve head is interfaced and after the sleeve is inserted, a "cigarrette" (a strip of bias-cut self-fabric folded lengthwise) is sewn to the sleeve cap seam to help cushion it a little further. It delivers a beautiful end result:
---
PT: O método de patronagem DP Studio é bastante requintado ao nível do desenho das mangas de alfaiate e gosto bastante do resultado das mangas. Além do corte, está previsto um trabalho com o ferro de vapor, uma técnica de alfaiataria bastante avançada. A cabeça da manga leva entretela e depois da manga montada um "cigarrette" (tira de 4cm de largura cortada em viés e dobrada no sentido do comprimento) é cosido à costura da cabeça da manga, para lhe dar um efeito arredondado e acolchoado. O resultado é realmente impecável:
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: The sleeve vent is one other feature that I really love on DP Studio's tailored jackets; the outside corner is mitered and the lining is precisely cut to be sewn to the sleeve all by sewing machine. All the pieces get together beautifully once the concept is perceived. I must say I am going to re-use this technique with other patterns, just by adapting the seam/hem allowances of the sleeve patterns along with the lining pattern the same way.
---
PT: A abertura no punho das mangas é outra característica dos moldes DP Studio que me agrada bastante. O ângulo exterior é mitrado e o forro é cortado com precisão para poder ser cosido à manga inteiramente à máquina. Todas as peças encaixam na perfeição uma vez que o conceito e a técnica são dominados, Devo dizer que vou adaptar outros moldes para produzir o mesmo resultado, tendo apenas que adaptar o corte das margens de costura e bainhas nas mangas e o corte do forro destas.
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: Here's the famous clasp in action. I decided to add a narrow self-fabric belt to produce a different effect; for that purpose I also added two narrow belt loops caught in the side seams:
---
PT: Aqui têm o famoso fecho em ação. Decidi também acrescentar um cinto fino feito com o mesmo tecido para dar ao blazer um efeito diferente e, em consequência, também uns passadores de cinto estreitos, presos nas costuras laterais:
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: moving on to the pants, this pattern is really easy to sew, yet maintaining some original features and a designer allure; there's an elasticized waistband (no elastic on the front section of the waistband, which is nice), and the side seams are shifted forward. The hems can be elasticized too on the back (optional). The slanted hip pockets are also nice, with the inner pocket bag cut all-in one with the back pattern. I cut my usual DP Studio size 40, shortened the hemline by 2" and didn't elasticize the back of the hemline.
---
PT: Passando agora às calças, este molde é realmente fácil de confecionar, embora mantendo algumas caracteristicas originais e um conceito de designer. Tem um cós com elástico (a frente não leva elástico, o que é bom), e as costuras lateriais são deslocadas para a frente. As bainhas podem levar elástico atrás, como opção. Os bolsos também são um detalhe que aprecio, com as funduras interiores cortadas no seguimento dos paineis das costas das calças. Cortei o meu tamanho 40 usual com estes moldes, apenas subindo a bainhadas pernas 5cm, sem elástico atrás.
dpstudio-fashion.com
EN: the instructions mention creating a pin-tuck along the front crease, something which is not apparent on the line-drawing. I decided to make it, anyway:
---
PT: As instruções mencionam criar uma nervura ao longo do vino da frente, embora essa característica não seja aparente no esquema técnico; acabei por decidir coser a nervura:
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: The outer pocket bags are cut from lining but have a pocket facing:
---
PT: A fundura exterior dos bolsos é cortada de forro mas tem uma vista do próprio tecido:
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: Here's the pockets from the wrong side:
---
PT: Aqui têm os bolsos pelo avesso:
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: I found a small fail in the pattern: there's an "x" on the back pattern piece marking where the side seam/front intersects the pocket bag (at least I think it is what it indicates) but if you overlap front and back patterns, the "x" is not on the right place. I corrected it and it all came together smoothly.
---
PT: Encontrei uma pequena falha no model: a peça das costas tem um "x" que marca o lugar onde a costura lateral/frente intersecta a fundura incluída nas costas (pelo menos foi essa a minha interpretação), mas se sobrepuserem o molde da frente com as costas, esse "x" não está bem posicionado, Depois de corrigir a sua posição, tudo encaixou perfeitamente.
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: Another aspect that I find less correct is interfacing the back waistband, which means interfacing the elastic casing actually; I did as instructed resulting in a waistband with unnecessary bulk; if I make these pants again I will skip the interfacing.
---
PT: Outro aspeto que achei menos correto, desta vez nas instruções, é a parte que diz para entretelar o cós atrás, o que significa que o canal do elástico fica mais rígido; isto resultou num cós mais volumoso, o que não é necessário nem desejável, pelo que da próxima vez não aplicarei entretela na parte de trás do cós.
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: As I've said, I shortened the length of the pants by 2" (I was aiming for ankle length on this pants) and didn't apply the elastic to the back portion of the hemline, resulting in a plain top-stitched hem:
---
PT: Como já mencionei, encurtei as bainhas 5cm (queria um comprimento pelo tornozelo nestas calças) e não apliquei elástico na parte de trás da bainha, o que resultou numa bainha simples pespontada:
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
CONCLUSION: It felt really great sewing this suit because I was relaxed and inspired. I find sometimes during my sewing journey I get to wonder and try new things, going beyond the pattern and aiming not only at a perfect execution but also at creating something really unique. This actually happened at some level with this suit and I am proud of turning my inspiration into reality, using what I had on hand. Regarding the fit, the jacket fits really great and I am happy with the little design elements that I added to make it unique. The pants also fit me well, but as with some other DP Studio pant patterns, the crotch curve a bit narrow for me, needing a slight adjustment now on size 40. Regardless I am extremely happy with the set and plan on sewing more suits, even if I have no occasion to wear them for a while, lol. As soon as an opportunity arises, I promise to take some photos wearing my latest makes :). Thank you all for dropping by and Happy Sewing!
---
CONCLUSÃO: Sinto-me mesmo bem com esta realização porque é o resultado de um estado de espírito relaxado e inspirado. Durante o meu percurso na costura, por vezes divago, experimento coisas novas, vou além dos moldes e dos modelos base para criar algo diferente e único. Concentro-me não apenas em executar as técnicas o melhor possível mas também em "inventar" um pouco, dar um toque diferente,... Acho que isso é evidente neste fato e tenho orgulho de ter conseguido este resultado usando apenas matéria-prima que tinha à mão em casa. Quanto ao assentar das peças terminadas, o blazer assenta na perfeição; é um modelo já bastante conhecido e praticado para mim; as calças também me assentam bem, embora como alguns outros moldes de calça DP Studio, careçam de um gancho um pouco mais amplo no meu caso; no tamanho 40 mal se nota, mas se fizer as calças novamente ajustarei um pouco a curva do gancho. Apesar disso estou muito satisfeita com o fato terminado, e apesar de agora não ter grandes ocasiões para usar fatos, quero fazer mais alguns,... Sei que querem ver este fato vestido e prometo que mal surja a oportunidade tirarei fotos a usar as minha súltimas criações! Obrigada por aparecerem e boas costuras!

11 comments:

Nancy K said...

Fabulous, of course. I expect nothing less from you. It is such a pleasure that you are still blogging.

Vicki M said...

Amazing! I think you need to play dress ups and take photos so we can see :)

Anonymous said...

have been following yr blog for a few months & wanted to let you how much I appreciate your awareness in choice of pattern & fabric & method of execution plus your generosity in sharing all of that - your attn to detail (without becoming the pattern police) is reflected in the beautifully finished garments that you've made - they fit, they seem to suit your personality and they all reflect your joy of sewing, experimenting and creating - brava!!! annr nyc

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

what a gorgeous suit, the details are perfect.And I've never seen a belt loop sewn that way into the seam, what a good idea.

Anonymous said...

Tany, your work is ALWAYS absolutely exquisite. Always. What a beautiful, and beautifully sewn, confection! Now, I must ask you..you were able to get A SUIT...jacket AND trousers... out of a yard and a half of fabric???!!! Did you cut out everything with the fabric laid out singly, or double-fold? Wow! Amazing. My compliments!

Kim

p.s. Please forgive if you've already said in the post. I was so taken with the amount of fabric you listed, I had to stop reading and ask. :-)

Tany said...

Thank you so much, everybody!!
Kim: it was not just one yard and a half,... It was three coupons (lengths of fabric) one yard and a half EACH! Even I can't do miracles, lol!!!

Fran said...

So lovely! What a beautiful addition to your collection--hope you'll have wonderful places to wear it soon!
As always, I really appreciate your good explanations of your problem-solving. I have learned so much!
Fran

Arish said...

Un traje precioso y un magnífico trabajo. BESICOS.

Cennetta said...

As always, this suit is beautifully made down to the last detail.

Colo Heather said...

Another stunner! And great details - I learned a lot. Thanks for always telling and showing details. I understand why that closure came home with you. 😁 Is the fabric a natural fiber?

Tany said...

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments!
Colo Heather, I don't think the fabric is entirely natural because it has some stretch (not much, though). I can't tell for sure but I would guess some kind of linen blend... lt doesn't feel as it has much polyester in it, if it has some,...