A dashing Black Suit for fall and a Dutch Label Shop discount code for my readers

EN Summary: The patterns used for this suit were McCalls7580 for both pants and top and BurdaStyle magazine 03/20103mod102 for the short-sleeve jacket. Keep reading the full review (disable ad-blocker if you're unable to see blog content).
---
PT Sumário: Os moldes usados para este fato foram o McCalls7580 para as calças e top e o modelo 102 da revista BurdaStyle de Março de 2010 para a jaqueta de manga curta. Continuem a ler o artigo na íntegra (desativem o ad-blocker se o conteúdo não aparecer).


PSSST: Photos of me wearing this set are up on Tany et La Mode (click here)
---
PSSST: Fotos minhas a usar este conjunto já estão no Tany et La Mode (clicar aqui)
Image credits: Mccallpattern.mccall.com

EN: I started by making the top (M7580 view A) using black crepe-back satin that I had in my stash. The top is described as "loose-fitting raglan sleeve top has back zipper and upper-front detail" and the suggested fabrics are: Gabardine, Crepes, Crepe-back satin, Cotton blends. I am partial towards a top which seems to enhance my already wide shoulders, yet I was hoping the crepe-back satin would not emphasize the shoulders too much ( and I was proven right in the end, I really loved the sleeve effect with the top on).
---
PT: Comecei por confecionar o top (M7580 opção A) com crepe-cetim liso de cor negra que já tinha comprado há uns tempos. O top é descrito como "top amplo de mangas raglan com zipper nas costas e encaixe na parte superior da frente" e os tecidos sugeridos para este modelo são gabardina, crepes, crepe cetim e tecidos mistos de algodão. Estive um pouco na dúvida quanto a um modelo que parece acentuar ainda mais os meus ombros por si só largos, no entanto tive esperanças que com a caída do crepe cetim este efeito não fosse tão acentuado (e no fim vi que tinha razão, gosto muito do efeito das mangas com o top vestido).
EN: I decided to play with the matte/shiny surfaces of the fabric, using the matte side on the yoke, back and upper portion of the sleeves and the shiny side on the lower front and sleeve flounces. I only did a couple of things differently from the instructions: I left out the invisible zipper on the back, leaving an opening instead and closing it on top with a button and a fabric loop; I also top-stitched the pleats on the upper portion of the sleeves.
---
PT: Decidi jogar com os lados acetinados e baços do tecido, usando o baço no encaixe da frente, costas e parte superior das mangas; a parte inferior das mangas (folho) e da frente foram cortadas com o lado acetinado para fora. Fiz algumas modificações no processo de confeção, substituindo o fecho invisível das costas por uma abertura fechada com um botão e uma aselha no topo; também pespontei as pregas na parte superior das mangas.


EN: The top turned out really well and I love how it looks on me. At firth glance I thought the chest darts could have been eliminated by transferring them to the yoke seam; yet they are really deep and with the raglan sleeve and all,  I'm not sure the top would maintain the good fit around the chest area if I did this alteration. I would have to try it out on a muslin first to be sure.
---
PT: Gosto muito do top e do efeito dele vestido. à primeira vista pareceu-me que as pinças do peito poderiam ser eliminadas facilmente, transferindo-as para a costura que une a parte inferior com o encaixe,... No entanto, como são pinças bastante profundas e trata-se de um design raglan, não sei se isso afetaria o caimento da frente; teria de experimentar num modelo de prova para ter a certeza.


EN: I proceeded with constructing M7589 view B (size 14, as the top), using the same black wool  crepe of my previous dress V1593. I love the wide waist yoke that dips down on the front while it  remains round on the back; I think this design is great for tummy control and totally eliminates the waist darts. As illustrated/explained in the pattern instructions, I underlined the pants with lining (cutting the pants pieces both in fabric and lining, basting lining and pant pieces together at the edges, wrong sides facing and therefore treating the double-layers as one within the construction). My wool crepe has a little stretch so I opted for a slightly stretch lining as well (purchased here). After basting together lining and fabric pieces I serged all edges and then proceeded with the construction. The pants turned out great (the fit is excellent on me) yet I found them to be slightly shorter than what I'm used (for example with Vogue patterns). I ended up letting them down a bit at the hem.
---
PT: Continuei com a confeção das calças do molde (M7589 opção B), usando o mesmo crepe de lã negro do vestido V1593 anterior. Gostei bastante do encaixe largo na cintura que termina num suave ângulo, enquanto se mantém redondo atrás; acho que é ótimo para quem tem um pouco de barriguinha e tem a vantagem de eliminar completamente as pinças da cintura. Tal como sugerido nas instruções do molde, apliquei um entre-forro com tecido de forro (cortam-se as partes das calças também em forro e alinhavam-se avesso contra avesso às peças em tecido, tratando-se essa dupla camada como uma só durante a confeção). O meu crepe de lã tem um pouco de elasticidade, por isso usei tecido de forro também um pouco elástico (comprado aqui). Depois de alinhavar as peças em forro às de tecido, passei a corta-e-cose nas orlas para as rematar juntas e prossegui com a confeção. As calças ficaram muito bem e assentam-me na perfeição, só notei que me ficaram ligeiramente mais curtas do que estou acostumada com estes moldes americanos; terminei por baixar um pouco as bainhas.


The jacket / A jaqueta
EN: I still had some wool crepe left and in the spirit of zero-waist I decided to make something else from it. The fabric piece wouldn't be enough for a regular long-sleeve jacket so I started looking for vests and I found this cute little number in BurdaStyle magazine 03/2010 (model 102):
---
PT: Ainda me sobrou um pedaço de crepe de lã e no espírito de nada desperdiçar, resolvi fazer mais uma peça com esse tecido. Não tinha metragem para uma jaqueta com mangas compridas, por isso procurei modelos sem mangas ou mangas curtas e encontrei este na revista BurdaStyle de Março de 2010 (modelo 102):
EN: Instead of making it plain, from a solid color fabric with just hidden snaps I decided to spice it up a bit with a faux fur trim and satin cord buttons (both from my stash), therefore adding some texture diversity to the jacket and the whole ensemble.
---
PT: Em vez de fazer a jaqueta lisa, sem qualquer adorno e com molas escondidas, resolvi dar-lhe um pouco de graça acrescentando um vivo de pelo e botões de cordão de cetim (já tinha estas coisas, não foi preciso comprar). Acho que a diversidade de texturas favoreceu a jaqueta e também o conjunto completo.

EN: My favorite feature is the collar (much to the style of Jackie Kennedy!); it's so elegant and I love the fact that in spite of looking like a Peter Pan collar, it has a collar stand:
---
PT: Uma das características que me agrada mais é a gola desta jaqueta (muito ao estilo da Jackie Kennedy!); é tão elegante e agrada-me que embora pareça uma gola Peter Pan, na verdade tem embutido um pé de gola:


EN: Here is the jacket from all angles:
---
PT: Aqui podem ver a jaqueta de todos os ângulos:


EN: What do you guys think? I love this suit!
---
PT: O que acham? Eu adoro o conjunto!
EN: I often get asked about my sewing labels; these ones are from DutchLabelShop.com, and I have an amazing offer to all my readers: a discount code! Just enter tanysewsandknits15 (all lower case) upon checkout! This discount code will be valid for 60 days. Happy label purchasing!
---
PT: As minhas leitoras costumam perguntar-me frequentemente onde arranjo as minhas etiquetas; estas vieram de DutchLabelShop.com e tenho uma oferta fantástica para vocês: um código promocional! Basta colocarem tanysewsandknits15 (tudo em tudo em minúsculas) quando fizerem checkout! O código é válido por 60 dias. Boas compras!

12 comments:

Fran G said...

A beautiful outfit! I am going to try the pant...love the flat front with the yoke.

Julie Culshaw said...

You are an amazing seamstress. I love the collar on the jacket too; that stand at the back makes such a difference to how the collar sits, I agree with you much nicer than a PeterPan collar.

Unknown said...

Beautiful outfit but most of all your work is magnificent. Love to read your posts.

Vancouver Barbara said...

That is just an adorable outfit. Brilliant thinking on your part. I hope you'll show us some pix of you wearing it. Smashing. So much fun. A great use of this and that.

Kelly said...

Each piece is fab! I especially like the jacket with the fur trim. Great idea!

Faye Lewis said...

This is a gorgeous outfit Tany>

Vicki said...

Another gorgeous outfit! Your wardrobe must be bursting at the seams!!

Mónica Martinho said...

Um belo conjunto. Agora so falta ver-te com ele vestido.
Bjs

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

OH that jacket, I love it.

golden star said...

Love! All of it!

Chris T said...

I love the pants too and will give them a try, I like the sounds of the yoke, I need all the help I can get.

Nancy K said...

Yet another fabulous outfit. It's one of my favorites of an amazing collection of garment.