A Yellow and Ivory lingerie set: Simplicity 8228 B and Montgomery panties


EN Summary: When I saw this yellow lace at Bodil’s Bwear.se I remembered the envelope photo of Simplicity 8228; unfortunately the length of lace I had ordered wasn’t enough to make the complete set (at least for my size) so I opted for making a pair of matching panties which take considerably less lace, the Montgomery briefs from Orange Lingerie. Keep reading the full review. 
---
PT Sumário: Mal vi esta renda amarela na loja online BWear.se, lembrei-me logo das fotos do envelope Simplicity 8228; infelizmente a quantidade de renda que encomendei não foi suficiente para fazer o conjunto completo no meu tamanho (só sobrou um bocadinho depois de fazer o soutien), por isso optei por usar um molde diferente para a parte de baixo, as cuecas Montgomery da Orange Lingerie. Continuem a ler o artigo completo.



EN: The racerback bralette – This wireless bra is constructed entirely with stretch lace galloon and lined with stretch mesh (lightweight Powernet); the lining (mesh) was glued with temporary spray adhesive to the lace and both layers were cut as one, as suggested in the instructions. The instructions also indicate finishing some of the edges with clear elastic or ¼” elastic. 
---
PT: O bralette “racerback” é inteiramente feito de galão renda elástica, forrada com mesh (ou Powernet mais fina); a mesh é aplicada ao galão de renda antes de cortar, com cola temporátia em spray e depois as duas camadas são cortadas como se fossem uma só, tal como indicado nas instruções. As instruções também indicam fazer o acabamento de algumas orlas no interior com elástico fino de silicone ou elástico normal de 5mm de largura.


EN: With my bra I opted for extra support (I’ve cut the 38D, so the cups are not exactly small, hence the need of more support): I used stronger Powernet on the band and also added band elastic to the band seam, on the inside: 
---
PT: No meu caso optei por reforçar um pouco mais a banda do soutien (o tamanho que cortei é o 38D, ou seja as copas não são exatamente pequenas,…). Na banda usei Powernet mais forte e também acrescentei elástico do mesmo tipo usado nas bandas dos soutiens de aros, à costura da banda:

EN: Also note that all the edges of the bralette were finished with ¼” narrow elastic, zigzagged in place to edge finish the mesh on the inside: 
---
PT: Notem também que todas as orlas estão rematadas com elástico estreito de 5mm, cosido com ziguezague na orla do forro mesh no avesso do bralette:

EN: The back neckline was finished with plush back picot edge elastic: 
---
PT: A parte de trás do decote foi acabada com elástico de lingerie com orla picot:

EN: The mirroring of the lace results in a beautiful effect on this bra: 
---
PT: O corte respeitando a simetria da renda resulta num efeito muito bonito neste soutien:

CONCLUSION: A really nice looking and comfortable bralette with many possibilities depending on the type of lace used. In my opinion it provides medium support, mainly by compressing, so I’m not sure how it would work with even larger breasts (perhaps using stronger Powernet to line it entirely would be better in this case). It’s good practice to anticipate any strap length adjustment when you’re not familiar with the pattern so  I cut the straps a little longer to adjust them if necessary; in the end I didn’t need the extra length so the next time I sew this pattern I will cut the straps the same length as the pattern.
---
CONCLUSÃO: Um bralette muto bonito e confortável, com várias possibilidades dependendo da renda usada. Na minha opinião proporciona um suporte médio, conseguido essencialmente por compressão, por isso não sei como resultará com copas ainda maiores do que as minhas (talvez usar Powernet mais forte como forro em todo o soutien ajude neste caso). É sempre boa política deixar alguma margem para ajustes quando não conhecemos os moldes, por isso quando cortei a renda, deixei tamanho a mais nas alças para precaver algum ajuste no final; o comprimento extra acabou por não ser necessário para o meu tamanho.

EN: The panties – The Montgomery hipster bikini brief is a downloadable pdf pattern from Orange Lingerie (click here), designed to coordinate with the Marlborough bra pattern creating a matching bra set. I decided to use it to coordinate with the Simplicity 8228 bralette because it took just the amount of lace that I had left. These panties feature an innovative design that eliminates elastic from the back leg opening, achieving a very smooth profile under clothing. The back of the panties originally is a two part double layer of mesh with an encased center back seam; the leg openings are placed on the fold of the back double layer. I used ivory lycra instead of the mesh and it worked out very well. I had just barely enough lace for these panties and had to do some mending on the lace front (it’s just above the crotch piece and barely visible IMO), by overlapping the lace pattern, zigzagging and trimming away the excess. I cut size M according to my measurements and the panties fit quite well, I am very happy with how they turned out.
---
PT: As cuecas - As Montogomery são um bikini hipster, molde pdf de Orange Lingerie (clicar aqui), concebidas para condizer com o soutien Marlborough criando um conjunto coordenado. Decidi usar este molde para fazer conjunto com o soutien Simplicity 8228 porque a renda que me sobrou só chegava para fazer algo de este género, não sendo suficiente para o modelo de parte de baixo do molde Simplicity. As cuecas Montgomery têm um design inovador que elimina o elástico da abertura da perna atrás, proporcionando uma transição suave para a perna e um perfil mais discreto nesta ária, por baixo da roupa. A parte de trás é de dupla camada com uma costura fechada no centro, sendo que a dobra do tecido coincide com o caveado das costas. No modelo original é usada mesh na parte de trás (para condizer com a banda das costas do soutien Marlborough), mas consegui excelentes resultados com lycra. A renda que tinha ainda teve de ser emendada para poder cortar a frente; para emendar sobrepõe-se duas camadas fazendo coincidir o padrão e passa-se um ziguezague sobre a renda, seguindo uma orla do padrão. Depois basta cortar o excedente. No final mal se nota a emenda (pelo menos na minha opinião). O molde foi cortado no tamanho M, de acordo com as minhas medidas e assenta-me muito bem.






EN: Some of you may be wondering if I gave up garment sewing in favor of lingerie sewing; I haven’t, I’m sure it’s just a phase. I’ve always loved to try new things and learn new techniques and lingerie is new territory to me, so I feel very motivated to sew lingerie right now; I’m learning with each set I make, each new pattern I sew. I am not giving up garment sewing; in fact I have a pair of pants already cut out and ready to sew (another take on V1526 C, Paco Peralta for Vogue Designer pants), but I am reserving garment sewing for the weekends, when I have longer periods of time available. These lingerie sets get done very quickly (they are the perfect projects for weekdays evenings) and I have a few more sets already completed to be reviewed; we’ll be stuck with “bra/lingerie making talk” for a while, hope you guys don’t mind :).
---
PT: Alguns de vós poderão estar a pensar que desisti de fazer roupa e agora é só lingerie; não é assim, tenho a certeza que é uma fase. Sempre gostei de tentar coisas novas e aprender técnicas diferentes e a lingerie é território por desbravar neste momento, por isso estou mais motivada para este tipo de projetos agora. Cada conjunto é uma oportunidade para aprender mais e melhorar. Isto não quer dizer que a costura de roupa fique de lado; de facto tenho umas calças já cortadas e prontas a coser (mais umas calças V1526 C, Paco Peralta para a Vogue). Ultimamente tenho deixado a costura de roupa mais para os fins-de-semana, quando tenho períodos de tempo disponível mais longos, enquanto durante a semana fazer lingerie acaba por render mais e tenho a satisfação de conseguir completar as peças mesmo com pouco tempo. Entretanto tenho mais conjuntos feitos para mostrar, por isso vai-se continuar falar de lingerie aqui por uns tempos, espero que não se importem!

8 comments:

Tomasa said...

The set is just exquisite. Your lingerie drawer must be so beautiful with all of the lovely laces and vibrant colors of the gorgeous items you have made!

Amanda S. said...

Love, love, love seeing your lingerie sets! I especially like this one since you've used my all time favorite color - yellow. Beautifully done!

Cindy said...

I'm in a lingerie phase myself. Your sets are so lovely! I'm still working out fit issues, unfortunately.

Mónica Martinho said...

Eu adoro a tua lingerie! Se conseguisse fazer como tu, não descansava enquanto não tivesse um stock todo novo! Continua!

A Rebelde Sem Casa said...

Se eu não estivesse em contenção de despesas, estes teus posts iam fazer-me gastar dinheiro em tecidos e moldes de lingerie :-)

A powernet será aquela 'rede' que se utiliza nos fatos de dança? Se for, já vi isso à venda numa retrosaria em Lisboa.

Vicki said...

These are gorgeous but don't look like much support. I suppose when you make your own you can incorporate extra support where you need it like you did. I am enjoying your lingerie making and it will be useful to look back on if I ever get around to it :)

Tany said...

A Rebelde sem Casa: a Powernet forte é aquele tecido que se vê nas cintas e bodies shapewear de boa qualidade... Em alguns soutiens de qualidade superior ve-se nas "asas" atrás. Depois há a fininha e essa encontra-se mais facilmente. Também pode ser usada, mas em camada dupla. É um material elástico forte (aperta)

Sarah Liz said...

Hello Tanya, I have enjoyed your bra making on Instagram. You have made such lovely pieces recently, I can see why you are enjoying this at the moment.