The Paco Peralta Long Tuxedo Jacket (V1527 view A) Final Review (2016#39)

EN Summary: The Long Tuxedo Jacket is finished and in this article you'll find a round-up of my previous posts about the making of this garment, a few notes on the sleeve vent buttonhole placement and my final notes about the pattern, along with a link to my personal style blog where you can find photos of me wearing the jacket. Keep reading the complete article.
---
PT Sumário: A Jaqueta Smoking comprida está terminada e neste artigo vão encontrar um apanhado de todos os artigos relacionados com este projeto, algumas notas sobre o posicionamento da casa de botão na abertura das mangas e também um enlace para o meu blogue de estilo pessoal onde me poderão ver com a jaqueta vestida. Continuem a ler o artigo completo.



EN: As you all know by now, the pattern used was V1527 (view A, the jacket) and I cut size 14 according to my personal measurements.
---
PT: Como já devem saber, o molde usado foi o V1527 (opção A, a jaqueta) e cortei o tamanho 14 de acordo com as minhas medidas.
EN: My previous articles addressing the making of the jacket were:



Lining the body of the jacket (I'm addressing a couple of glitches found in the instructions and an alternative method to bag/finish the lining)


---

PT: Os artigos anteriores relacionados com este projeto foram:



Forrar o corpo da jaqueta (onde reporto algumas falhas nas instruções, e demonstro um método alternativo para fazer o acabamento do forro)

EN: In the last article (about the sleeves) I wrote that I was having second thoughts about the suggested button/buttonhole placement on the sleeves; after giving it much thought I decided to VERY CAREFULLY un-stitch the machine buttonholes that I had made while the sleeve was on the flat and raise the placement of the button/buttonhole to about 2 inches away from the sleeve hem. I was lucky and no accidents happened; then I was faced with the situation of having to embroider the buttonhole while the sleeve was not on the flat anymore. Machine-stitching an automatic buttonhole would be impossible or too risky so I went ahead with hand-embroidering a faux buttonhole (faux because I'm not opening it). I used silk buttonhole twist and black gimp, as I'd normally use on a real hand-worked buttonhole:
---
PT: No último artigo (a respeito das mangas) mencionei que estava a ter dúvidas sobre o posicionamento da casa de botão que vem sugerido no molde; depois de muito pensar decidi desmanchar COM MUITO CUIDADO as casas que tinha bordado à máquina com a manga ainda aberta, para posicioná-las um pouco mais acima, a cerca de 5cm da bainha. Tive sorte e a operação de desmanchar decorreu sem acidentes nem marcas permanentes no tecido, mas depois vejo-me confrontada com a necessidade de casear já com a manga fechada. À máquina seria muito arriscado, por isso decidi fazer umas casas falsas (sem abrir), à mão. Muni-me de torçal de seda e um fio especial grosso e rijo (em Inglês chama-se "gimp"), que se põe por dentro do caseado para lhe dar mais relevo, e atirei-me à tarefa:
EN: The buttonhole was embroidered exactly the same way as you'd do on an opening, but without the opening, just the gimp to give it added structure; it turned out quite beautiful, with the shiny effect of the silk buttonhole twist:
---
PT: A casa foi feita exatamente da mesma maneira como se caseasse uma casa aberta, mas apenas englobando o tecido e o "gimp", sem a abertura; ficou bonita, brilhante e com relevo, como podem ver:
EN: The button was sewn on top of the buttonhole through all layers of the fabric (I was careful not to catch the lining underneath):
---
PT: O botão foi cosido por cima da casa, apanhando as camadas de tecido mas não o forro por baixo:
EN: Here's the sleeve on the finished coat; the shape of the sleeve cap and sleeve is absolutely perfect with this pattern. The pattern is true to size (I didn't make any adjustment) and the only thing I would do differently if I ever make this jacket again is shortening the sleeves a little bit so the cuff of the blouse would show when worn. The sleeve length is OK for a coat, but I prefer the sleeves a little shorter on a jacket. This is the kind of issue that I would have noticed if I had made a muslin first.
---
PT: Aqui têm a manga terminada na jaqueta; a forma da cabeça da manga e da manga é absolutamente perfeita com este molde, cujo tamanho em geral está bem adecuado. A única coisa que faria diferente numa próxima iteração, seria encurtar um pouco a manga para mostrar um pouco do punho da blusa. O comprimento da manga está bem para um casaco, mas em jaqueta prefiro ligeiramente mais curto. Este é o tipo de coisas que teria notado se tivesse feito um modelo de prova antes.
Conclusion: I am very happy with the final result and the pattern, which in my opinion is one of the very best patterns Vogue has issued lately. I love tailoring and constructing well fitted tailored jackets and coats, and this jacket is an excellent example of how such a garment should be constructed and tailored. Apart from a few issues found in the instructions, it's an excellent pattern and I highly recommend it.
You can see photos of me wearing the jacket on my wardrobe blog (click here). Next I'm tackling the calf-length skirt (view C)! Thank you all for reading and for the lovely comments and messages I've been getting!
---
Conclusão: Estou felicíssima com o resultado final e com este molde, que na minha opinião é um dos melhores que a Vogue tem editado. Gosto muito de alfaiataria e jaquetas/casacos bem ajustados e esta jaqueta é um excelente exemplo de como fazer uma peça deste nível. Apesar de alguns erros nas instruções o molde vale muito a pena e recomendo-o vivamente.
Podem ver fotos minhas a usar a jaqueta no meu blogue de estilo pessoal (clicar aqui). Entretanto já estou a fazer a saia (opção C do mesmo molde)! Obrigada a todos por aparecerem e pelos simpáticos comentários e mensagens que tenho recebido!

8 comments:

sewingkm said...

Thanks for sharing all your posts on sewing this jacket. The end result is simply lovely and I'm sure you'll wear it with pride for years! Karen

Bunny said...

Stunning work, Tany, so beautifully tailored!

cidell said...

Wow, Tany. As always, incredible. It's been so fun to watch you put this together. Thank you for the wrap up. It's stunning.

Tomasa said...

Impeccable workmanship as always. I agree the sleeve cap is perfect - a work of art! And I am impressed with how beautifully you hand embroidered that buttonhole. GORGEOUS!

A Rebelde Sem Casa said...

Tany, ficou espantoso e vê-se claramente nas fotos do IG que estás felicíssima com o casaco :-)

Helena A. said...

Olá Tany!
Este casaco está muito elegante!
Olha como tu costuras muito, necessitas de algo que te ajude a planear, por isso pensei: será que ela já conhece este Planner? Aqui está o link:
https://www.colettepatterns.com/catalog/colette-sewing-planner
Beijinhos de Lisboa!

Helena A. said...

Olá Tany!
Este casaco ficou muito elegante!
Como tu costuras muito e tens de planear o que vais costurar, pensei se já terias conhecimento deste planner:
https://www.colettepatterns.com/catalog/colette-sewing-planner
Beijinhos de Lisboa!

Tany said...

Obrigada Helena! Já tenho uma "planner" que uso religiosamente para registar tudo, mas vou dar uma olhada nesta que sugeres, obrigada pela dica! Beijinhos!