"Jupe à la Marinière" - High-low hem striped skirt (marine style)

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN Summary: No spring-summer wardrobe is completed without something marine style! Keep reading the full article on tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com and find out how I made this skirt!

---

PT Sumário: Nenhum guarda-roupa de promavera-verão está completo sem uma peça estilo marinheiro! Continuem a ler o artigo completo em tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com e descubram como confecionei esta saia!


EN: Let's start by the pattern used: I adapted DP Studio's Le913 (Strapless flared dress) into a skirt:

---
PT: Comecemos pelo molde que usei: adaptei o Le913 de DP Studio (vestido rodado cai-cai) para uma saia:
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: I pulled this pattern out because I had this striped cotton/elastane blend in my stash (horizontal navy on white stripes), which reminded me of the original model pictures of Le913; unfortunately I only had two yards available, so not enough to make the dress. I decided to make a skirt instead and I'm glad I did because I will get much more wear of a skirt in normal everyday life.

The original dress was either cut on the bias or used a bias stiped printed fabric; the effect is spectacular, in my opinion. With the yardage I had available I couldn't cut the skirt on the bias, plus I had to cut it on the cross grain because the front piece (cut on the fold) is wider than the fabric's regular width ( I would have loved the skirt with horizontal stripes, but "no can do" in this case...).

---

PT: Fui buscar este molde porque tinha um tecido de algodão/elastano às riscas (riscas marinho sobre branco na horizontal), que imediatamente me recordou as fotos do modelo original Le913; infelizmente só tinha 1,80m de tecido, o que é insuficiente para confecionar o vestido. Decidi então adaptar o molde para uma saia e ainda bem que o fiz pois uma saia terá muito mais uso na minha vida quotidiana do que um vestido cai-cai.

O vestido original ou foi cortado no viés ou o próprio tecido tem riscas enviesadas; o efeito é espetacular na minha opinião. Com a metragem disponível era impossível cortar os panos da saia em viés, tive de cortar o tecido dobrado atravessado, pois dobrado no sentido do comprimento não tem largura suficiente para cortar o pano da frente da saia na dobra (teria adorado que as riscas ficassem na horizontal, mas neste caso não pode mesmo ser assim).

https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: To alter the dress pattern into a skirt I did the following:

  • traced front and back pieces in DP Studio size 42 (roughly equivalente to Burdastyle size 40);
  • eliminated the bodice center portion on both front and back pieces;
  • folded and taped the pleats as indicated on the pattern and cut off 2" from the top (my aim was to cut at the natural waistline plus seam allowance)
  • while the front and back pieces had the pleats taped, I drafted front and back waist facings.
When the skirt was finished, I felt like something was missing; I decided to sew flaps (faux pockets) with a golden button, further adding to the marine vibe of the skirt.
---
PT: Os passos que segui para adaptar o molde para uma saia foram:
  • tracei as partes da frente e das costas no tamanho 42 (é mais ou menos equivalente ao 40 da Burdastyle);
  • eliminei as partes do meio do corpete nestas peças (frente e costas);
  • formei as pregas no molde em papel e prendi-as com fita-cola de pintor;
  • cortei 5cm em cima para orla superior ficar na cintura natural mais margem de costura;
  • Com as pregas ainda formadas, desenhei as guarnições/vistas da cintura, frente e costas.
Depois da saia terminada, achei que faltava qualquer coisa e então decidi colocar umas paletas com botões dourados (bolsos falsos) sublinhando ainda mais o estilo marinheiro da saia.
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: The pleats drape beautifully and the high-low effect of the hem really elevates the design:

---

PT: As pregas dão um caimento muito bonito à saia, evidenciado também pela bainha mais curta à frente:
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
EN: Here's the back view (there's an invisible zipper on the center back seam):

---

PT: Aqui têm a saia vista de trás (na costura do meio tem um fecho invisível):
https://tanysewsandknits.blogspot.com
CONCLUSION: I love the skirt and it's an easy hack of this pattern. I'm still planning to sew the dress one day, but not as occasion wear, I'd tone it down to a more sportive style; I think it would look lovely made of denim, worn with white sneakers and over a t-shirt, for example. What do you guys think?

---

CONCLUSÃO: Gosto bastante da saia e é uma adaptação que se pode fazer facilmente com este molde. Ainda penso em confecionar o vestido um dia destes, mas não como um vestido de cerimónia, preferia algo mais desportivo; acho que ficaria muito interessante feito de ganga, usado sobre uma t-shirt e com ténis brancos, por exemplo. O que é que vocês acham?
 

2 comments:

Bunny said...

Gorgeous! Having lived on Cape Cod in my teens I am always up for a nautical outfit. This skirt is perfection and your pocket addition wonderful.

Mary Katherine said...

I totally adore this skirt----I like your stripes better than the original and the pocket flaps with buttons are GENIUS!