Fato saia e casaco cinzento – Grey skirt suit

Português
English (uncheck the other box and check this one)

Fiz este fato ainda em Setembro, aproveitando dois tecidos coordenados que comprei em saldos na loja Manequim em Aveiro, há cerca de ano e meio (se não estou em erro). A composição do tecido é desconhecida, mas parece-me que tem fibras metálicas na sua composição.

Modelo original: trata-se do modelo 127 (jaqueta) e 126A (saia) da Burda de Setembro de 2009:

A jaqueta é curta, ligeiramente ajustada e com trespasse na frente. As mangas semi-raglan a três quartos e a gola de rebuço dão-lhe bastante graça e um ar vintage. A saia é justa, por cima do joelho, com a cintura subida e ligeiramente evasé. Tem passadeiras para usar um cinto largo, pinças à frente e atrás e um fecho invisível na lateral.

Detalhes:

Para dar um ar mais sofisticado, decidi aplicar canudinhos pretos cosidos ao rebordo da gola:

Na foto seguinte podem ver a corrente de pendurar da jaqueta:

Aqui têm os cantos na frente (junção da bainha com o forro e vista da frente):

O pormenor dos botões:

A etiqueta no interior da frente esquerda:

Quanto à saia, algumas fotos do fecho invisível lateral:



O forro foi cosido à bainha, de forma a esconder toda a construção interior da saia:

Conclusão: Gostei bastante do resultado, embora o conjunto seja demasiado chique para o dia-a-dia; no entanto já usei as peças em separado, num estilo um pouco mais casual.

Uma vez mais quero agradecer todos os vossos comentários e emails, a vossa amizade e consideração. Muita coisa tem acontecido nestes três meses e nem tudo foi bom. Comecei a sentir uma dormência nos braços, principalmente à noite (chegando a acordar sem sentir um braço ou os dois). Depois de vários exames, ainda não tenho a certeza da causa exacta: primeiro desconfiaram da cervical, mas segundo o meu ortopedista a cervical não tem lesões graves que justifiquem estes sintomas. Tenho dores de costas frequentes, mas o médico disse que está relacionado com problemas musculares e posturais (aconselhou-me a evitar longas horas no computador e a fazer alongamentos. Nada de costurar dias seguidos também). Quanto à dormência o médico identificou-a como sendo a síndroma do túnel cárpico, mas mais tarde fiz o exame de despiste (electromiografia) e não acusou nada: ou problema ainda está no início ou então é outra coisa (tendinite ou algo assim)… Deveria ter voltado ao médico para fazer uma ecografia aos pulsos, mas sinceramente estou farta de médicos e decidi deixar passar algum tempo, tendo algum cuidado (abstendo-me do tricô e croché e costurando só aos fins de semana). A dormência parece atenuar-se quando faço mais exercício, por isso tenho aumentado a frequência das idas ao ginásio. Enfim… Creio que compreendem que não é nada agradável ter este problema, uma vez que só me sinto realizada a fazer coisas com as minhas mãos… Tudo isto tem-me condicionado e espero que compreendam a minha ausência dos blogs. A verdade é que continuo a ler os vossos blogs sempre que posso, mas como não tenho tempo de comentar em todos, tenho-me abstido de comentar. Como esta semana estarei de férias, vou tentar publicar os trabalhos que fui fazendo, mas no início do Novo Ano, vou voltar a ausentar-me até que tenha mudado para a casa nova, pois é impossível ter tempo para tudo e tenho outras prioridades.

Amanhã espero mostrar-vos outro projecto! Até lá, fiquem bem!


I made this suit in September, using two coordinating fabrics from my ever growing stash. I bought them a year and a half ago (if I’m not mistaken) during summer sales at the best local fabric store, Manequim, and they were very expensive even on sale. The fabric’s composition is unknown but I believe there’s the presence of some sort of metallic fibers.

Original model: model 127 (jacket) and 126A (skirt) from the September 09 issue of BWOF:

The jacket is short and slightly fitted with a double-breasted front closure. The 3/4 semi-raglan sleeves and the shawl collar are very appealing adding a vintage look to the suit. The skirt is fitted and A-line and sits above the knee having a high waist with belt carriers and a side invisible zipper.

Details:

For a sophisticated look I hand sewed black bugles (little tubes used for embroidery and beading work) to the collar edge:

Here’s the hanging chain: on the back facing:

And here’s the facing/lining/hem junction corner:

The front closure:

My label inside the left front:

Here’re a few photos of the invisible zipper on the skirt:



Instead of a hanging lining I opted for handstitching the lining to the hem, enclosing the inner construction details:

Conclusion: I really love the end result; the suit is a little too formal but I managed to get casual looks using the skirt or the jacket alone with other wardrobe elements.

Once again I’d like to thank all the comments and emails, your friendship and caring. A lot has been going on in my life and not all is good. A few months ago I started to feel my arms numb at night, which is really scary because it feels as my arms are not there anymore. After a few exams, I’m still not sure what’s wrong with me: first we suspected of cervical injury but my orthopedist excluded this diagnose because he couldn’t see any severe injury on the X-rays, so he said that my problem must be the Carpal tunnel syndrome. A few weeks later I took the electromyography test and it came out negative, meaning that the problem could be on an early undetected stage or it could be something else (tendinitis perhaps). The truth is that I feel a little sick of doctors right now and I didn’t go back for a follow-up. I know the next step is an sound scan to the writs to see if there’s any tendon injury, but somehow I don’t feel in the mood of going to the doctor so soon. I also feel lower back pain every now and then but the doctor said it’s muscular related (bad posture at work and/or sewing) and that I should avoid many hours at the computer desk and sewing for long periods without proper rest and stretching. I’ve been carefully: I’ve been abstaining from knitting and I reduced my sewing time to the weekends; the arm numbness seems to reduce after my workouts so I increased my workout sessions at the gym. Sigh… You can imagine how I feel: the carpal tunnel syndrome is a degenerative disease that requires surgery and there’s a risk to it, it’s not 100% safe. A tendinitis is more or less the same: there’s no treatment but surgery. I can’t imagine myself without the perfect use of my hands so all this has been very torturous to me. There have been other setbacks but this problem and all the time spent at the new house (choosing finishing details, planning everything out, ordering the furniture, rugs, etc.) have taken most of my time and I hope you understand my absence from blogging. I’ve been reading along most of my blogroll but as time is so short I’ve not been commenting. I hope things will settle down after moving to my new home, where I’ll have extra storing space a dedicated sewing room! During next week I’ll be at home most of the time so I’ll try to publish a few more projects that I managed to complete during my blog hiatus. From next week on and until I move to my new home, I’ll remain in lurking mode because life dictates other priorities.

See you guys soon, have a great day!

44 comments:

Trudy said...

Yea! You're back! Hope you found a beautiful home and you got all settled in in time for Christmas. Missed your posts, but it was worth the wait. Gorgeous as always. Your sewing is always so inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing.

judi.0044 said...

Stunning - your sewing is impressive and lovely. Best wishes in your new home and feel better!

Lisa said...

Your suit is so beautiful, as always perfection. I am sorry you have been in pain , I really hope you and your doctors get to teh bottom of it.
Good luck in your new home , I hope the move goes well.

Vicki W said...

Another beautiful suit! I am sorry to hear about your health issues. Doctors are very frustrating, especially when dealing with symptoms like yours. Stick with it and figure out what it is. Don't overdo it either and try to enjoy the process of moving to your new home! That's very exciting!

Lisette M said...

Beautiful jacket and skirt. It is nice to see your creations again!
I started with the exact same symptoms as you a few months back. The doctor came to the same conclusion as yours and told me that the best I could do was to manage the time I spend knitting and sewing and at the computer. On the days I suspect I overdid it I wear a wrist brace to relieve the pressure to my wrist. There are a few good stretching exercises that were posted in a Vogue Knitting issue a while back and they are helpful.
Hope you feel better soon, and good luck with the house.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Tany - its so good to hear from you again no matter how limited the contact is! I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing some health challenges and hopefully they will be resolved shortly and without surgery. Finally, that is an amazing suit. I love the fabrics and the details.

I will eagerly look forward to the pieces that you share with us this week and then wait until your wonderful new home with dedicated sewing room is done and you can come back to us!

Happy Holidays!!!

Sew-4-Fun said...

Beautiful suit! It's nice to see what you have been sewing.

Sorry to hear about your health issues. It's funny you mention knitting. I use to knit a lot in my twenties but I was forced to give it up as I had issues with my arms/wrists, where they felt numb and painful. It took almost five years but I no longer have symptoms, except when I pick up the knitting needles.

I'm not implyuing this is what is wrong with you but it did remind me of those years when I had issues. I understand how worrying it is especially when we like to create with our hands. I hope you find a simple solution like I did.

Maria Filomena said...

Tany,
já sentia a sua falta.....
E que conjunto lindíssimo!!!
Fino, chique, fabuloso!!!!
A sua costura é Alta Costura!!!!
Parabéns e muitas melhoras para a sua saúde....
Que Deus a acompanhe sempre, para que você possa continuar a fazer tão belos trabalhos...
beijos de Maria Filomena

E Um Ano Novo de felicidades......

Marsha said...

Your suit is beautiful!

Christina said...

That skirt suit is just plain gorgeous!

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems - how frustrating because it directly impacts your ability to do one of your favorite things - sewing...

Good to hear from you again - thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

The suit is beautiful.
I can imagine your state of mind but being a pharmacist I couldn't stress enough the necessity to reach a diagnosis. First, it's better for your state of mind to know what you're suffering from. Second, any condition is best handled if diagnosed early.
Kepp your head high and hang in there.

Adrienne said...

Beautifully done!!

Continue to take care of yourself!!

Ann Made Studio said...

Tany, your suit is beautiful. The fabric is awesome! and the details perfection ~ as always!
I am so happy that you found some time to blog, but I understand about time issues.
Having gone through moving quite a few times :))) when you do get all moved in and settled life will return to normal :) I'll definitely be checking back in!

So sorry about your health issues. I was thinking of you and hoping that had been resolved, I hope you do get a final result soon, it is definitely worth pursuing :)
Take Care. Ann

Corteygrif said...

OI TANY!
Que saudades amiga.
que bom ver te aqui nem que seja por pouco tempo.
fico feliz de saber que com a ginastica vais atenuando os movimentos do teu braço.
Lindissima escolha este modelo,adorei e como sempre o resultado de mestria.
O tecido è ideal para esta temporada de festas.
Espero que o teu natal tenha sido harmonioso,junto dos teus queridos.
Recebi o teu email obrigada pelo carinho de sempre.
Um abraço amiga
espero que o novo ano traga mais alegrias na tua vida.
ROSA

AllisonC said...

It's great to see you posting again and the vintage style suit is really beautiful. I hope you had a merry Christmas and I wish you all the best for the coming year, particularly in getting some answers to your health issues. Take care.

Me! said...

Gorgeous suit. Regarding your health, I wish you the best.
Tyna

Beth said...

Tany, que conjunto lindíssimo. Já estava sentindo falta dos seus modelitos.
Melhora na saúde.
Bjs

Jackie said...

Glad to see you back. Your suit is awesome!
Hope you feel better real soon and congratulations on your new home.
Happy Holidays!

Shannon said...

I've missed you, but I certainly understand how you have been too preoccupied to blog. I hope you get a diagnosis soon and that it's something minor and easily fixed.

The suit is gorgeous - I love the two fabrics together!

anita said...

Beautiful suit, Tany! Nice to see you'll be back relatively soon. I hope that you get your health issues figured out and be on the road to healing soon. Enjoy your new place too! Take care. :)

Unknown said...

Tany, so good to hear from you again. Don't avoid the doctor, better to find out and start working on improving your health. Whatever it is, we'll keep you in prayer.

The suit is stunning! I absolutely love the fabric selection and your craftsmanship is superb, as always.

BonnyD said...

May you find God's comfort and healing in the palm of His hand, I am sure you will find it there since He already gave you beauty, smarts, and talent and that comes from His hand too.

Anonymous said...

Que surpresa boa!!! Como sempre, lindo o conjunto. eu tenho problema quando fico muito tempo no computador. O meu problema e' o mouse. Fazendo ginastica com peso me ajudou a fortalecer os musculos do braco. Ja faz algum tempo que nao tenho problema. Mas nunca tive dormencia (so nao conseguia levantar o braco com dor :-) Se cuida, e evita ficar no computador. Obrigada por compartilhar o seu conjunto. ADOREI!

Lorelle said...

Tany
Hope you get well soon. The suit is beautiful as always. Take care.

Erica Bunker said...

Gorgeous suit! Feel better soon!

Adelaide B said...

I recently went through an undiagnosed illness and understand how scary all the options are. Hang in there and proceed at your own pace. All our thoughts are with you.

Also, seriously, that is one amazing suit. You have always been one of my sewing heroines and I always learn something from your projects. Thanks!

Lori said...

Incredible suit, Tany. I am so sorry to hear about your health issues, I hope you can get answers soon. Good luck with the house.

Fikir İşçisi said...

harika olmuş, çok güzel görünüyor
sevgiler.Mutlu yıllar:)

Celina said...

Obrigada por arranjares um tempinho para partilhares estas coisas connosco, fazes-nos falta. Espero sinceramente que tudo se resolva pelo melhor. Essa pode ser apenas uma fase mais aguda de sintomas, uma maneira de o corpo avisar para te poupares um pouco. É uma boa notícia não haver nada a nível da cervical. Eu também ando com umas dores de costas e sei que a culpa é das más posturas que agravam a escoliose que já tenho. Como tu, nem quero pensar em ter algum problema que me impeça de tricotar ou costurar. Resolução para 2010: exercício, cuidado e vigilância. Vais ver que tudo se resolve pelo melhor. E quando chegar a altura das mudanças, não abuses a carregar coisas! ;)
Beijinhos

Celina said...

E com isto tudo esquecia-me de dizer que adorei o conjunto! A jaqueta é linda, adoro o corte, bem como o facto de teres usado dois tecidos diferentes para o conjunto, que se harmonizam muito bem.

Mamã Martinho said...

Tenho realmente sentido falta dos teus posts e dos teus comentários, mas sei que tudo se deve a questões pessoais e de saúde, por isso fico a aguardar que melhores dias venham.
Adorei esse teu novo fato e deve ficar o máximo com uma combinação mais casual.

Bjs

Mónica

Marie-Christine said...

Beautiful suit!
It does sound like what you have is early stage of carpal tunnel, at least I've experienced the same. But please don't believe that surgery is the only option! In fact it's the only one that can make things worse instead. If you go consult a surgeon, of course they'll tell you that's what you need - what you need is a physical therapist. But there are also lots of info online about RSI and ergonomics - just changing your chair adjustment (or getting an adjustable one) can make a world of difference. Read up and try small changes. Don't let yourself get so down that you do nothing instead till it's too late.

Vicki said...

Tany, that is sad news! Hopefully it is tight muscles pushing against nerves and can be fixed with exercise, relaxing and massage. Your suit is gorgeous (of course. And good luck with the move.

Jenny said...

Thank you for taking the time to post this. It is beautiful! I'm hoping that your trouble resolves itself with exercise or your doctors come up with an alternative to surgery.

JustGail said...

I'm sending good thoughts your way that your aches are due to stress/overwork with the new house. I've been through that - while it's lovely to be able to get a new house, it's a lot of work and stress! I have been reading your blog for many months now, and enjoyed learning about your projects, thanks for sharing!

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Cuantas novedades. En primer lugar, espero que estes bien. Ya aseguro que el nuevo año será un periodo totalmente diferente para tí. Mis mejores deseos, por supuesto. El traje es divino, como todo lo que haces. Tiene detalles muy bonitos y significativos, y la combinación de los dos tejidos resulta excelente.

Besos, Paco

Joyce in NC said...

Another beautiful outfit. I've really missed reading your blog and admiring your creations. My good wises are with you during your illness.

Mariela Alethia said...

Beautiful suit. I am glad to see that you are back. Hope you will be feeling better soon!

Amanda S. said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your medical problems. Hopefully it will clear up soon and you won't need surgery. I do love this skirt suit! The jacket looks a little vintage to me. I think I passed this jacket up when I first got this magazine, but now I'll have to take another look at it. Great inspiration!

Maria Lúcia said...

Oi
Que bom poder ver
esse blog cheio de
vida.
Parabéns pela casa.
Bom Ano Novo,
esses casacos
são lindérrimos.
Beijos...
Lúcia.

senaSews said...

Your ensemble looks terrific as all of your garments!

I'm sooo sorry for you not being well! I hope you will get well soon! All the best wishes, Sena!

Ming said...

Dear Tany,

I have followed your blog with admiration for quite awhile now. I wish you the best in identifying for certain your health issues and hope the best to you for the best recovery and/or maintenance of your symptoms. I appreciate your efforts to share with the online community your adventures in sewing, there is a lot to be learned from your expertise!

Cennetta said...

Lovely suit.

myleta said...

LINDO!!!

E vai td correr bem, vamos lá ter pensamento positivo e nada de desanimar, sim?

Um beijinho