Monday, April 13, 2015

Ongoing sewing project: the 70s inspired (faux) suede coat – Projeto em curso: Casaco de imitação de camurça estilo anos 70


Today I want to show you guys some progress photos of my current sewing project. The coat is almost done, I only have to sew the buttonholes, stitch in the buttons and apply the shoulder pads (they are just roughly pinned in place at this stage). 

---
Viva pessoal, hoje queria mostrar-vos algumas fotos do projeto de costura que está em execução no momento. O casaco está quase pronto, falta fazer as casas, aplicar os botões e os chumaços (neste momento os chumaços estão mais ou menos no lugar presos com alfinetes).

The pattern is from Burda International magazine (April 1996, mod 912) and was originally a dress, but I decided to turn it into something that could double up as a spring coat too. I changed the front opening into a top down faux placket (it’s “faux” because there's actually a facing inside; the illusion of a placket is created by the fabric folding into a tuck and then top-stitched; the excess fabric introduced by the tuck was added to the pattern, of course). 

---

O molde é de uma revista Burda Internacional bastante antiga (Abril 1996), modelo 912, que corresponde a um vestido com abertura frontal parcial. Decidi modificar o molde para que funcionasse também como casaco, o que envolveu fazer a abertura frontal até abaixo. Para criar a ilusão da carcela de botões aplicada (estilo camisa) introduzi uma dobra no molde que depois é pespontada. Na realidade a parte frontal contém uma vista seguida (à semelhança do que acontece nos casacos forrados).
 I also modified the collar shape, as you can see in the photo above (I was inspired by an old shirt pattern by Paco Peralta which offered a similar collar variation!);

---

Também modifiquei a forma do colarinho, como podem ver na foto acima (tirei a inspiração de um molde de camisa antigo do Paco que tinha uma opção de colarinho semelhante!);

The fabric (faux suede) has been a pain to work with when it comes to ironing: I need to use very low temperature setting and ALWAYS a press cloth between the iron and the fabric. I originally intended to use buttonhole thread for the top-stitching but after a few samples I've given up the idea (the larger needle needed with this kind of thread would not pierce this fabric easily). When dealing with several layers of fabric the stitch length shows some unevenness too, but this happened only because the fabric feed is increasingly difficult with so much bulk. 

---

O tecido (imitação de camurça) tem sido bastante difícil de lidar no que toca à passagem a ferro; só mesmo com o ferro na opção “seda” e usando sempre um paninho entre o ferro e o tecido (senão o tecido literalmente cola-se ao ferro!). No início tinha pensado usar torçal nos pespontos decorativos, mas depois de algumas amostras desisti da ideia; a agulha grossa necessária para o torçal não conseguia penetrar facilmente neste tecido. Outro problema que tive foi manter os pontos da máquina de coser uniformes ao coser sobre várias camadas deste tecido (caso do pé da gola e abertura dos punhos, por exemplo)


I hope to get the coat finished by the end of the week ( so I can start with Paco's new pattern next) so stay tuned!

---

Espero concluir o casaco até o fim da semana para depois começar com o novo molde do Paco, mantenham-se atentos!

4 comments:

Mónica Martinho said...

Está a ficar espetacular!
Boas costuras.

Gail said...

Your new coat dress is looking fantastic.

sensoussi said...

Always magnificent work and beautiful projet, congratulation Tany! Biz from Marseille

JENNIFER said...

Just gorgeous!!!!! I swear you have the best sewing skills!!!!! just perfection!!!! I truly admire you Tany, you keep me inspired and encourage me to continue to do the best!!!