Couture “Denim” Jacket: quilting sample – A Jaqueta Alta-costura de “ganga”: amostra do acolchoado


EN Summary: In this article I’m trying a different (easy and time saving) method to guide the quilting lines on the jacket pieces which are to be quilted to the lining. Continue reading to find out more. 

---

PT Sumário: Neste artigo demonstro um método alternativo (fácil e que poupa tempo) para guiar os pespontos do acolchoado nas partes da jaqueta que são acolchoadas ao forro. Continuem a ler para saberem como procedi.

EN: In my last post there were some questions regarding the lining which made me conclude that the photos weren’t clear and lead to some miss understanding; the lining was cut using the fabric parts (in this case the muslin pattern is still pinned in place) laid on top of the lining, so the SAs of the lining is at least as wide as the SAs on the fabric pieces. In my last post photos I tried to move away the lining and due to the camera angle some of you thought the lining SAs were cut away; this is not the case, as you can see in the first photo of the current article. 

---

PT: O meu artigo anterior suscitou algumas questões das leitoras que me levaram a concluir que as fotos originaram alguma confusão relativamente ao forro. O forro foi cortado usando as peças de tecido como molde (estas peças mantêm também o molde de tecido cru preso com alfinetes), ou seja, estas peças foram colocadas sobre o forro, que foi cortado em seu redor. Nas fotos do artigo anterior, afastei o forro para poderem ver claramente que o forro estava junto ao tecido e devido ao ângulo, deu a sensação que o forro não tinha margens de costura. Essa não é a realidade, como podem verificar pela primeira foto deste artigo.

EN: This jacket uses an unconventional fabric (it looks like denim, but in reality it is not because it’s a plain weave with some different texture threads mixed crosswise; denim is a sturdy warp-faced twill weave) and I’m convinced that this particular fabric doesn’t peal if I use a sticky tape to guide the quilting lines. I couldn’t use this method on the boucle but in this case I think it works fine, but still I tested it first. I used 1 inch wide painter’s tape (made of paper), a kind of tape which leaves no residue and comes off quite easily: 

---

PT: Esta jaqueta é feita de um tecido pouco convencional ao qual chamo “ganga” ou denim, mas que na realidade não o é pois é um tecido com ligamento plano ou simples (ao contrário do denim, que tem ligamento de sarja e é mais “rija”), neste caso com fios misturados na trama (fios horizontais) com diferentes texturas. Estou convencida que neste tecido é seguro usar uma fita-cola para marcar as linhas de pesponto, em vez de estar a alinhavar tudo, salvando assim algum tempo. Este tecido não larga pelo nem é fofo, e a fita usada (fita de pintor em papel com 2,5cm de largura) é feita especialmente para descolar facilmente e não deixar resíduos. Mesmo assim, é mais seguro efetuar um teste e foi o que fiz.

EN: I was very pleased with the result and as you can see, the stitching threads are quite imperceptible on the right side of the fabric (some readers have also expressed some concerns regarding this issue). I think it’s safe to proceed with the quilting.

Thank you all for the lovely comments I’ve been getting; they are really appreciated and motivate me to continue sharing my beloved hobby!

---

PT: Fiquei bastante satisfeita com o resultado e como podem observar, os pespontos nem se notam do lado direito (algumas leitoras também expressaram preocupação relativamente a esta questão). Acho que é seguro passar agora para o acolchoamento da jaqueta.

Não queria deixar de apresentar o meu agradecimento pelos comentários que têm deixado; aprecio imenso o vosso feedback e o facto de interagirem comigo e gostarem do meu trabalho motiva-me a continuar a partilhar este hobby que tanto adoro!

6 comments:

couture a la mode said...

Tany, what stitch length did you use for the quilting? Beautiful work!

Tany said...

Hi Couture a la Mode, I used setting 4 (4mm) for the stitch length

Pilar said...

Seguro que esta chaqueta te queda tan bonita como la otra. Seguiré el proceso atentamente.
Un beso.

Anonymous said...

That is a great tip! Cannot wait to see this jacket finished!

mem said...

Its looking good Tany , I wonder though why you have decided to do this as your fabric is stable and as I understand it the quilting a la Chanel is done as a means of stabilizing the loosely woven boucle fabric without adding lots of bulk . It will look very nice though . I am enjoying your journey. M

Tany said...

M.: Thank you so much for your lovely comment! You're right about the fabric and the purpose of the quilting on this type of jackets but still I wanted to quilt the jacket because I believe it will add value to it. I am also curious of how this jacket will feel on with the quilting, as compared with my previous jacket and other "regular" jackets. For me, sewing has always been about experimenting and trying new things, it's what keeps me moving forward.
Wishing you a lovely day!