Weekend Jacket progress report: setting in the sleeves by hand – Progresso na jaqueta este fds: colocação das mangas à mão


EN Summary: After cleaning up the lining on the sleeves and sleeve vent, I couldn’t help myself and finished the cuffs. I recorded a short movie on Instagram which will give you an idea of how it looks :). Then I proceeded with setting in the sleeves by hand. Keep reading to find out about my progress so far! 

---

PT Sumário: Depois de fazer o acabamento do forro nas mangas e na abertura dos punhos, não resisti a terminar o acabamento dos punhos. Gravei um vídeo no instagram que vos dará uma ideia de como fica. Depois passei à parte de coser as mangas à jaqueta à mão. Continuem a ler para verem o meu progresso até ao momento!


EN: If you follow me on Instagram @tany0471) (or if you’re friends with me on Facebook) there’s a chance that you’ve already watched this short movie; hope it gives a pretty close idea of how the jacket feels to the touch and how the finished cuff looks like. 

---

PT: Se me seguem no Instagram @tany0471 (ou se são meus amigos no Facebook), podem já ter tido a oportunidade de ter visto este curto filme; espero que consiga transmitir como a jaqueta se comporta ao o toque e como ficou o punho depois de finalizado.

EN: I attached the sleeves using Susan Khalje’s method: the sleeve is set by hand, fell-stitching the upper part first and then backstitching around the underarm. In my opinion this method gives us the opportunity to really fine tune the hang of the sleeve because once we get the upper part right, the underarm simply falls into place naturally (it is not mandatory to follow the basted outlines, the hang of the sleeve will lead you to where to stitch the sleeve to the armhole along the underarm). Susan’s video class was really enlightening and this is one of my favorite parts because I had the chance to learn an entirely new to me technique. 

---

PT: Apliquei as mangas à jaqueta seguindo o método da Susan Khalje: a manga é aplicada completamente à mão; primeiro a parte de cima é cosida com pontos invisíveis e depois a parte por baixo (na vaca) é cosida com pontos atrás. Na minha opinião este métos permite realmente afinar o caimento da manga, porque uma vez conseguida a parte de cima da manga, a cava simplesmente “cai no sítio” naturalmente (não é obrigatório seguir as linhas alinhavadas para coser a parte de baixo da cava; é o seu caimento que nos indicará por onde coser). As aulas vídeo foram realmente esclarecedoras e nesta técnica em particular, pois era completamente nova para mim.

EN: The next step, and one of the more difficult and labor intensive, is cleaning up the lining around the armhole. On the left you can see the armhole before, and on the right after all the cleaning up is done. I completed the right armhole and still have the left one to do. It’s a very difficult process because the lining should not pull the sleeve and the silk lining is really slippery and difficult to control. I will proceed with the other armhole during the week (I’m too tired right now and need a break). Wishing you all a great week ahead!

---

PT: O passo seguinte é um dos mais dificeis e trabalhosos e consiste no acabamento do forro em redor da cava. À esquerda podem ver uma cava depois de coser a manga, e à direta têm a cava depois do acabamento do forro. Consegui terminar a cava direita e ainda me falta acabar a esquerda. É um trabalho difícil porque é preciso garantir que o forro não repuxa a manga e este forro de seda é muito escorregadio e difícil de controlar nas curvas. Durante a semana espero terminar a outra cava e prosseguir com o acabamento das orlas da jaqueta. Desejo-vos a todos uma ótima semana!

3 comments:

Gail said...

Beautiful work Tany. I haven't forgotten your buttons, just to bring them with me to post!! Soon I promise.

Cindy said...

Lovely, Tany! I really enjoyed watching the short video. It really does show how luxurious your jacket is!

Mónica Martinho said...

Está a ficar mesmo lindo.
Bom trabalho.